• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 Where to next?

BLU-125

NAXJA Forum User
1998 4.0l AW-4

After a couple of weeks of the torque convertor not locking up intermitintly, it stopped locking up at all. I located the TCU and measured the resistance accross the solenoids.....all three were the same at 14.1 ohms. Checked operation of brake light switch...all okay. I normally have a ScangaugeII plugged into the OBD port and water temp is functioning, so I assume temperature is not the cause.

I get codes P0700, P0740, P1698 & P0463. I replaced the TCU with one from a similar model.......same codes. If parked on an an gle, fuel gauge sometimes doesn't work until I turn the ignition off and back on again.

Where do I go next? Tried searching but can't seem to find any further direction....

Try applying 12 volts from the battery to the wire for the torque converter lockup solenoid and see if you can hear a click from the transmission. This should be done with the vehicle off and the TCU unplugged.

And yes, P0463 is unrelated, it relates to your fuel gauge issues. My 98 has the same problem.

You can use TCUs from 98 through 01 XJs - 97 ones look the same but are different internally and will not work with your 98-01 AW4.

Back