• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will this short block interchange?

5150mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched for days and have not found a definitive answer; Will a 1997, 98, 99 xj SHORT block work in a 2000 xj. Heres the story. I got a 2000 xj for free but it had the cracked 0331. Bought a new improved head. Runs great but had the oil pressure issue (0) and a bad or collapsed lifter, ticking real bad at idle and certain rpms, got a little better when warmed up. 1st. repair replaced cracked head. 2nd. repair replaced oil pump and rod bearings, still have oil pressure issues and ticking, 3rd repair replaced rocker arms, bridges, and pivot blocks, still have issues, 4th repair changed lifters and cam bearings, oil pressure is now awesome but i still have the same lifter sounding noise. Now I'm pissed cause I had the head and pan off and could of checked pistons/ wrist pins for damage or wear and slammed one in but idiot me was sure it was the lifter/oil pressure/ cam bearing issue . I would like to put this head on a 97, 98, 99 short block since they are a little easier to find than an actual 00, 01 then rebuild mine or if I'm happy keep running the new combo. Thanks in advance, MECHANIC

Yes, any 1991-2001 H.O. short block will interchange.

I also changed the timing chain and guide at repair 4,,,,,,, It's one of those things that just pisses you off after getting it all back together and still have the noise, oh and this motor has about 260k:bawl:Its not really the time or money but the agony of defeat.

Maybe a little leak from the combo manifold gasket? You're still using the cast manifold?

Back