• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter crappin out?

1990heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok stats, 4.0 aw4 242 1990 heep 33s and 4.10s

ok so it drives fine and doesnt slip at all under normal driving. BUT, when im wheelin and in 4 high(part time or full time), its fine til i try climbing a steep hill, it goes till im out of momentum then it wont even spin the tires even if im pretty deep on the gas pedal. other thing that concerns me is in 4 low after doin some good crawlin, at idle it seems like somethings slipping because it feels like it has alot less obvious torque then when first put in 4 low, like even a very slight hill it doesnt idle up it.

im wanting to think the torque converter is slipping a bit, gets hot from wheeling and starts to slip worse. what do ya'll think?

More than likely it is related to seals in the tranny. Make sure you have enough fluid and not too much. Personally, I would add a cup of lacquer thinner to soften the seals. That or a close cousin is the basis for most tranny fix in a can.

If you can score a pressure gauge and connect it to the trans you should have your answer. Normally bad seals will also show up on cold starts on a cold morning and it taking a second or two to shift into gear. Good luck.

Torque convertors rarely fail the way you say in my experience.

well ill check my trans fluid level tomorrow when its cold. last time i check(less then 2 months ago) it was fine and a clean red still, and ive had no leakage that ive seen. also it still did this around that time anyway so im not really sure what to make of that

You should check your fluid level after the vehicle has been driven for 20 minutes so that the transmission is fully warmed up.

well yesterday i checked the level and it appears quite a bit too full, ill make sure to check it once totally warm but if its still over full ill drain it

overfull can cause foaming and loss of pump pressure that would cause your symptoms.

If you want to check the pressure you can go to your local TSC/farm store and have them make you a hydraulic hose with the proper fitting for the trans and a high pressure hydraulic guage on the other.

Cost me about $25 to have one made for a focus transmission/.

Back