• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj power steering

korn9613

NAXJA Forum User
a couple weeks ago, i fell into a washout, hard, it blew my high side power steering line. i replaced everything, both lines, the pump(with a used pump), not knowing for sure what happened. this last weekend i slipped into another washout. i didnt see what had blown but the steering fluid was almost white and foamy, and the power steering was hardly working. i put my old pump back on and its doing ok, a little noisy but working. is there something stronger i can put in its place? both the box and pump?

did you get all of the air out of the steering gear and pump when you replaced it?

you can upgrade to a dakota box with a bracket to use the fourth hole. The boxes themselves are pretty sturdy, usually they tear off from the frame before the box will fail.

Sounds to me like you need to bleed the air out of it, and perhaps install a cooler. I would also inspect your frame rail and the mount points, as running into an embankment should not tear off hoses unless something is moving.

it didnt tear off the line, i should have explained better. the impact of dropping in so hard and the steering beeing slammed like it did, pushed a crap ton of hydr pressure throught that factory line, causing it to break somewhere at the crimped end. i bought a new high pressure line and problem gone.

so did you bleed the air out of it after you replaced the line or not? air in the system will make it white and frothy and not work.

jack it up with bth front wheels off the ground, work steering back and forth repeatedly, add fluid as needed and until you don't see any bubbles in the reservoir.

no i didnt, it worked for a week until i got it in a bind this weekend. when i got everything replaced i did move the steering back and forth but not jacked off the ground.

ok, is there a way to test that pump now to see if its still good now that its out of the vehicle?

feel for grinding and shaft end play, but unless you can spin it to operating RPMS and measure the pressure then no, you can't truly test it.

ok so after i got it in the bind, i was able to drive home on it, it was whining horribly and real jumpy. im wondering if it was like you said just locked up with air. im it was still working just very poorly and only under extreme rpm.im wondering if i re-install and bleed if it would be just fine?

ok so after i got it in the bind, i was able to drive home on it, it was whining horribly and real jumpy. im wondering if it was like you said just locked up with air. im it was still working just very poorly and only under extreme rpm.im wondering if i re-install and bleed if it would be just fine?

you've not likely damaged the steering gear, but you may have damaged the pump.

Pull the reservoir and look for metal filings. If none I'd hook it all back up, bleed it per the AGR directions and run it. If metal filings then I would toss the pump, and then remove the steering gear, disassemble it and clena it, then reassemble with your other pump, and bleed it properly.

Back