• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield wiper fluid?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a motor that lets the wiper fluid go or a fuse? I've got fluid in the tank, but it doesn't come out. Not sure if there's a bad wire somewhere, bad motor (if it has one) or if it's as simple as a blown fuse.

there's a pump, with a fuse.

That's as specific as I can be given the vagueness of your post.

So would a blown fuse make it to where the washer fluid doesn't come out? Or a clogged/bad pump?

I'm trying to figure out why my washer fluid doesn't come out when I hit my wiper/fluid button. Trying to find the culprit behind it not working. Not familiar with how the system works so trying to figure out what the parts are that make the fluid come out so I can troubleshoot what the problem is.

But knowing there's a pump, and a fuse helps =)

yeah I would check your fuses first, then track down the pump. Not sure exactly what fuse it is. Does your rear washer work?

So would a blown fuse make it to where the washer fluid doesn't come out? Or a clogged/bad pump?

I'm trying to figure out why my washer fluid doesn't come out when I hit my wiper/fluid button. Trying to find the culprit behind it not working. Not familiar with how the system works so trying to figure out what the parts are that make the fluid come out so I can troubleshoot what the problem is.

But knowing there's a pump, and a fuse helps =)

knowing what you're working on would probably help a little more.

As usual, you should state at least the year of your XJ. '86 ~ '96 has the tank under the hood. '97 ~ '01 it's buried under the fender hidden by the splash shield.

On my '96 the in tank filter for the front washer got clogged with washer fluid residue while the rear still worked. Fixed by pulling the tank and rinsing out until the filter was clean. You should be able to hear the pump motor work if the fuse is good.

Mike

Not sure on the rear wiper if it works... there is no wiper motor installed atm. Trying to source one.

It's a 93. I'll check the fuse first and go from there... hopefully it's just a fuse and a nice and simple fix.

it could also be the intermittent wiper module or the conncetions that go to it under the dash.

Hrmmm... hopefully it's something easy. Wipers work fine, just can't use the fluid. Sucks when they get dirty from the rain or snow and collects dirt. Makes it rather hard to see.

Did the washer just suddenly stop working or hasn't worked in a long time? That would be my first clue on where to look, it would be unlikely that the filter suddenly clogged.

the internittent box should be a flat box with a flat connector on eash end, just above your left knee under the dash.

Unplug it, then plug the two ends of the wireing harness together. You will lose the intermittent function, and the wash function wit hthe wipers, but what should work are these:
high/low wiper speeds
washer pump with wipers that do nothing.
If the pump doesn't work with the intermittent box disconnected the circuit or the pump is dead. Get out your multimeter and test the connection at the pump for voltage.

I had to replace both my pumps in my 98 about 5 years ago, they are behind the wheel well liner. Jack it up, pull the tire/wheel then remove the liner, takes longer to remove and reinstall the liner, get some of the retainer clips too, you will break a couple removing the liner.

I've had the Jeep for about a month and has never worked since owning it... not sure how long before that it didn't work.

87manche i'll give that a shot if I find that the fuse is still good. Start w/the easiest thing and go from there

I had to replace both my pumps in my 98 about 5 years ago, they are behind the wheel well liner. Jack it up, pull the tire/wheel then remove the liner, takes longer to remove and reinstall the liner, get some of the retainer clips too, you will break a couple removing the liner.

being a 93 his is much easier.

unbolt washer tank from fender, remove, replace pumps, pout tank back. Pumps are in the tank with rubber thingies to secure them. I did a pump on my aspire and it was $8 from the parts store, so not a budget breaker.

likewise it's also easy to run a jumper wire from the battery to test the pump.

Given the time of year and your location--it may be frozen (the pump and fluid) Be sure the fluid is good to -20* or less.

Try using a straightened office staple to clear the nozzles on the wiper bezel. There is a decent chance they are plugged.

If that doesn't work, have a helper hold down the switch while you check for 12 volts at each pump (across the terminals.) If you don't get 12 volts at one of them you have a wiring fault, if you do, you have a dead pump, not exactly unheard of on a '93 and fairly cheap to replace.

There have actually been 3 locations for the tank (that I know of, 84-86 may have yet another.) xx-91 had the tank on the inside of the driver side fender, by the brake booster. In 92 they switched away from the Bendix ABS system to a Teaves (iirc) manufactured system that mounted the HCU and ABS module where the washer fluid bottle used to go, so the washer fluid tank moved to the firewall/fender on the passenger side, where the RENIX coolant bottle and Bendix ABS pump formerly resided. This continued through 96 on LHD XJs. In 97, the bottle was moved to the space between the inner and outer fenders on the driver side. 92-96 RHD XJs also had the bottle located here to provide space for the brake booster and other equipment on the right hand side of the engine compartment.

So if you really wanted to, you could put 3 different washer fluid bottles in a 92-96 XJ (8x-91, 92-96 LHD, and 92-01 RHD/97-01 LHD), all bolt-in (might have to drill a few holes for the self tapping screws, not sure. But the cutouts are all there.) It's up to you what to use the extras for, but it could come in useful in a jeepspeed/desert rig that gets exposed to a lot of dust or mud while wheeling and runs out of washer fluid too quickly.

Back