• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ died while driving... weird power issues

Chasadia

NAXJA Forum User
My xj stalled out about 20 mins after I ran it through some creeks. I was driving it down the road when it died, and I tried to put it in neutral to start it but its not getting any power. When I rolled to a stop I checked the distributer for water and it was bone dry. I also checked the airbox for water, but it was also bone dry. The weird part is my lights work, inside and out, but my windows wont roll up, my radio wont work, but it will eject a CD, and the door buzzer works, but when I turn the key over it doesn't crank. My dad thought it was the starter relay, but we changed it today and it didn't change anything. A week or two before this, I had to replace the ignition cylinder, because it jammed up with the key in it. I don't know if this and the problem I have now are related. Any ideas on what I can check?:anon:

A**uming automatic transmission, so its possible you drowned the NSS and that is why it won't crank over.

Another possible issue, depending on how deep those creeks were, is the fuse block down by the driver's left foot is wet--that might be the radio issue, but isn't likely related to the no cranking.

I would pull the NSS, clean, lube, re-install, and adjust it. JP Magazine "how to" on the NSS: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

FYI, if you want to play in the water take a weekend BEFORE you do that and pull apart all of the connectors, clean the contacts, and treat them with dielectric grease. Also, don't forget the location of the alternator--it sits very low in the engine compartment and tends to get submerged.

Well, I talked to a friend who's got an XJ, and he said to check the ignition run acc fuse (I believe thats what its called), and he pointed it out to me on his, which is a 98, but on mine, a 90, i know where the fuse bar is located, but I don't have a diagram to tell me what fuse operates what. I also want to check the NSS, but the part that makes me question everything is the power windows wont roll up and the radio wont work.

Ok, let me make myself a little clearer--you likely have more than one issue.

Ok--cranking works like this: key, key cylinder, remote rod, ignition switch, starter relay, NSS (it prevents cranking by interrupting the starter relay's ground), solenoid/starter. IF the battery and your main cables are in good working order, and the solenoid/starter itself isn't bad, then you should get cranking. The most common cause for no cranking in the XJ is the NSS. The most common reason the NSS stops working is dirt/lack of maintenance. The second most common reason the NSS stops working is water.

Switched circuits: key at ACC or ON, power is fed through the ignition switch to the fuse block, and from there to the switched circuit accessories.

The 98 and Renix electrical circuits have as much in common as Bill Clinton and Clay Aiken--while sex might exist, it is done in different ways.

Your radio circuit has nothing to do with cranking other than if the ignition switch is wonky any switched circuits could be screwed up, same for the windows.

Last edited:
Back