• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch operation???

korn9613

NAXJA Forum User
i recently put a high output alt on my xj. the thing is great under power, at an idle it doesnt charge crap. im wondering if there is a cable (a choke cable perhaps) that i can run to the throttle line, so that if im operating the winch outside my vehicle, i can keep the rpms up, also for my on board air, if im airing up a tire, it would be nice to run those rpms up to produce more air flow. any ideas???

not sure but look into extended idle, seems like there is something that can be bypassed or grounded out to get it to do it depending on year.

from what i read about the extended idle option, its not an option for the older cherokees such as mine, 1989. says the pcm does not have the pin out needed to wire in. any other thoughts??

from what i read about the extended idle option, its not an option for the older cherokees such as mine, 1989. says the pcm does not have the pin out needed to wire in. any other thoughts??

IIRC (and I may be off on this, since I'm not mega-familiar with all the specifics of RENIX XJs), it should be possible to jumper the A/C idle riser to kick in when the winch is running. It'll basically give you the same effect as the Extended Idle mod. May want to do some searching on it; it has been mentioned before.

i also need it to run my on-board air if im airing up a tire, to speed things up. i visualize something like a manual choke cable inside the cab, throw it in park and give a little tug, to the the cable that is, and take the rpms up while i am outside??? the only way to do this is electronically?

i also need it to run my on-board air if im airing up a tire, to speed things up. i visualize something like a manual choke cable inside the cab, throw it in park and give a little tug, to the the cable that is, and take the rpms up while i am outside??? the only way to do this is electronically?

search "hand throttle"

Yes you can do it, look for the brackets from an XJ with cruise, as it will have an arm and cables that you can easily retrofit for a hand throttle.

There's no practical way to do it electrically and have control. You could trip the AC pin on the ECU and it would bump the idle up a touch, but probably not to the 1500+ RPMs you're wanting.

whats the overdrive pulley? just a larger pulley? that might be good to do in conjunction because at an idle that alt doesnt charge hardly at all, its only under throttle that it really does a good amount of charging, which im told is normal on ho alts???

You could scavenge a vacuum or electrical cruise servo and cable and rig it up to increase the idle--salvage yard should be fairly cheap.

thanx for the input, smaller pulley definetely going on. i cant help but wonder still, why wouldnt a manual choke cable work?, or would it?

The thing with a manual choke cable is a choke doesn't have a heavy return spring pulling back against it--you would pull on it, and the throttle return spring would just pull it back.

I want to say that the A/C idle solenoids are adjustable. I seem to recall them being threaded alteast on one end. I would think that you could mess around with it to see if it would push far enough to get the idle speed your looking for. Then it would just be a matter of wiring a simple switch to bump the idle up.

On a side note if you change the alternator pulley to spin faster at idle you have to take into consideration that you can run the risk of it coming apart if you were to spin the engine up to redline. You are basically increasing the rpm range that it works at in relation to the engine speed. I know on the military hummers that if you really push them hard at high RPM the alternators will stop making output voltage. You can watch the gauge drop off almost like someone turned it off.

joe peters, good point, didnt think about it but it makes sense. maybe i will just order the one through rubicon express, hand throttle.

wheeling365- im wondering how likely that would be? i dont know that i ever really redline much. the pulley site i found says it gains you 800 rpm on the overdrive pulley they sell. im going to make the pulley so maybe i will find a happy medium and maybe shoot for around a 500 rpm increase???

You need to figure out what engine speed you need to get the power you are looking for. If its let's say 1700 to run the winch. see how high you can get the idle by adjusting the a/c high idle circuit. Take that number and subtract it from the rpm you want. That's the speed you need to add to the alt. If you can add that much speed, say 500-800 rpm to the alt when you are at the rev limiter than you are fine. If not than you will need some way of raising the idle without the pulley. But that's were I would start. I'm not sure how well I explained that but hey

I pretty much suck.

Back