• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does any one know what im talking about?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
You know the little rubber mat/skirt thing under the engine that kinda is their to stop water and salty junk from being thrown up there. Whats it called and does anyone know were i can get a new one or something like it. I think the salty water that is getting thrown up their is messing up my starter.

The rubber skirt/dam/shield/whatever only went back to about the front of the engine. It's not going to protect your starter from anything.

I've been running for so long without one (12+ years) that I had actually forgotten that they put those on the early models.

just thinkin all that water and salt getting thrown up their and then blown back as your driving. its got to help. but i dont know. is their some kind of skid or something else that covers that area?

You know the little rubber mat/skirt thing under the engine that kinda is their to stop water and salty junk from being thrown up there. Whats it called and does anyone know were i can get a new one or something like it. I think the salty water that is getting thrown up their is messing up my starter.

Kaden,

What year is your XJ?
How many miles on the odometer?
Is the starter new?
What are your symptoms?

I'm a Utah native and ran my 89 XJ for 10 years without the splashguard in place and don't recall any starter issues. Don't have one on my 2000.

its a 97 xj with 90,000 miles the starter is old but not bad, ( i dont think). I keep replaceing the fuse and it keeps blowing but only on the days when it is real wet? I probably need a new starter but dont want the same thing to happen to it...?

Get a mud flap for an 18-wheeler.

If you have a 13 year old starter that keeps blowing the fuse, I think you are going to end up replacing it. Theoretically a short can happen anywhere in the circuit, but the biggest suspect here is the starter itself....

Go NEW and not rebuilt/reman. Not that much more and worth the money.

Repeated blown fuses sounds like a wiring or internal starter issue. Check the wiring at the starter to make sure there are no bare wires that could be making contact with metal that could result in a short to ground when wet. This could blow a fuse.

I hose down my starter and undercarrier pretty frequently at the carwash, I've never blown a fuse or had a starter issue due to water.

just thinkin all that water and salt getting thrown up their and then blown back as your driving. its got to help. but i dont know. is their some kind of skid or something else that covers that area?

nothing that goes that far back. Stock steering skid covers to the steering box.

I keep kicking this one in the garage.

well i put a new starter in it a few days ago, and it worked for those few days tell tonight. It blew another fuse. and it was a wet day...? Not sure if thats got anything to do with it but that seems to be the only time it happens. Anyways just wondering what you guys thought? what else could it be?

If i turn on my rear defroster it blows the starter fuse. Its a 1998. I just dont use it cause its a wiring thing and I am not good with electrical stuff. I might as well be amish when it comes to wiring.

Back