• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fusible links amp ratings

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87 4.0 xj which i've been gradually rewiring and cleaning up the engine bay harness so one of my last projects inside the bigger project is to replace the fusible links on the main power with circuit breakers when I move the relay cluster off the fender and into the corner of the firewall. So does anybody know the amp ratings of these fusible links? I'm going to see if the haynes manual says anything about it but i got to go steal again from my xj friend.

Those are listed in the parts catalog by "gauge":

J813 4201 Qty 2 FUSIBLE LINK, 18 Gauge
J813 3785 Qty 1 FUSIBLE LINK, 14 Gauge

The Haynes won't tell you anything, neither will Chilton's or the FSM.

If you can find a reputable source for the ampacity of various fusible links, please let me know! I've been trying to find out myself for some time...

Joe is correct that fusible links tend to be listed by gage size, with the thumb rule being that the gage size of the fusible link is four steps smaller than the circuit it's protecting (fusible link for a circuit fed by 10AWG would be 14AWG, for instance.)

The Haynes won't tell you anything, neither will Chilton's or the FSM.

If you can find a reputable source for the ampacity of various fusible links, please let me know! I've been trying to find out myself for some time...

Joe is correct that fusible links tend to be listed by gage size, with the thumb rule being that the gage size of the fusible link is four steps smaller than the circuit it's protecting (fusible link for a circuit fed by 10AWG would be 14AWG, for instance.)

Good luck, like John I've been looking for that table forever....

Take a look at what the comparable circuit is on an HO model, then use a fuse rated appropriately. That's what I did, it's not burned to the ground yet.

Back