• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to pull a trailer with 3-4" lift

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
I need to set my XJ up to pull a trailer. When I originally lifted it I didn't need to pull/haul anything, it was just a close-to-home wheeler. Now I'm DD'ing it ~6hrs a week and it's having to pull some truck duty around the house since we don't have a pickup. However, because the rear springs are a main leaf with two S-10 leaves under it with a 1.5" shackle it WILL NOT carry any amount of weight.

Over the summer our nieces came down to visit and with all our camping gear in the back it constantly hit the bump stops. Also we rented a wood chipper and just the tongue weight of that mashed it down on the axle.

So, what I'm wanting to do is get some heavier load leaves for the rear. It's ~4" in the front and obviously sagging in the rear quite bad. Would the OME 2" heavy load leaves be what I need? If it gets me a little more than 3" total in the rear with that and the shackle I could add a spacer to the front. But I've read that the OME stuff has suffered a quality set back. What do you guys think?

Personally I would rebasterdize with more of the s-10 leafs to get it level and carry some weight, ditch the extended shackles. All it would take is time.

The main leaves just wont hold up for me. This is the 2nd set of BP's I've had on it and the main leaf has separated from the rest of the leaves and warped on both sets. These have lasted longer because I used a longer 2nd leaf, but the same thing is still happening.

Plus, I now work out of town 4 days a week and my spare time is close to nothing. I'd rather just buy a decent matched and proven product and be done with it.

Its not the bastard pack...Its gotta be your spring configuration or weak springs. I have a dakota BP with 3-3.5" of lift and have hauled a drift boat loaded as high as my cherokee is tall with all my junk from Texas to Washington state and had no issues. Even with all that it still didnt hit the bumpstop once.

go for RE leafs.

I tow my 4500 lb boat and trailer behind my 2000 with RC leafs and their adjustable shackles. I even towed it 1500+ miles once. No sag...works ok, headlights point at the sky, which blows for driving at night :)

go for RE leafs.

Agreed. My RE 3.5" packs sit down to their advertised height once 600+ pounds are on them. Without the weight, they sit at a little over 4.5".

Based on my experiences, they seem to be designed for heavy loads... Not sure about how long they'll hold up under load though. Others might be able to lend more insight into their longevity.

Air shocks suck,but air bags would work great for this application.

Air shocks may kill off some flex at that lift. Many A.S have shorter shafts or drop then stockers.
But if he is running big tires. (most do with that much lift) Extended stops would be wize.
Depending on tire size. Even with triming more stops are often needed tto prevent rubbing.
But with taller stops a shock extender that is equal to the exta stop hight can be used to regain drop. Depending on colaped hight of the air shock; The extension can be longer then the stop. Without crunching everything on recoil. This idea can be aplyed to any shock to regain drop.
I have been running an extended air shock setup (2 inches) for 6 years now with no problems. I only run more then min air in the shock for towing not to gain general lift.
Some just don't like the "FEEL" of air shocks when offing. But I think that ALL in there head.

Last edited:
I'd say RE leaf packs as well. Get a 3.5" pack and that should get you at least 4" in the rear. Pretty stiff, I've never had an issue towing anything with my Jeep. Doesn't even sag that much.

I wound up getting the OME Heavy Load 2" packs. I've had them a few weeks, but I have not had time to get them on yet. I found a deal in a NP242 with a hack-n-tap already installed and a rear drive shaft I'm going to pick up, and do it all at the same time so I don't have to worry about vibrations. If it goes a little higher in the rear, I'll find a set of spacers or something to stick on the front when I tear it all down to regear later this year. Thanks guys!

I need to set my XJ up to pull a trailer. When I originally lifted it I didn't need to pull/haul anything, it was just a close-to-home wheeler. Now I'm DD'ing it ~6hrs a week and it's having to pull some truck duty around the house since we don't have a pickup. However, because the rear springs are a main leaf with two S-10 leaves under it with a 1.5" shackle it WILL NOT carry any amount of weight.

Over the summer our nieces came down to visit and with all our camping gear in the back it constantly hit the bump stops. Also we rented a wood chipper and just the tongue weight of that mashed it down on the axle.

So, what I'm wanting to do is get some heavier load leaves for the rear. It's ~4" in the front and obviously sagging in the rear quite bad. Would the OME 2" heavy load leaves be what I need? If it gets me a little more than 3" total in the rear with that and the shackle I could add a spacer to the front. But I've read that the OME stuff has suffered a quality set back. What do you guys think?

I did OME CS034RA packs with an Extra leaf and got close to 4 and when my camper is hooked up it drops maybe a 1/4 of an inch. I know, I'm late to the party! :D Oh and Since i have JCR bumpers i needed an 11" drop hitch!

I built my own "all XJ" bastard pack using 2 main leaves and configured in other leaves to get me to 3" and it rides great and handles loads just fine. I have had those springs in there for 3 years now.

Finally got my OME packs installed along with the new t-case. So far I really think I made the right decision. I've yet to pull a trailer with them, but the increase in spring rate has made it more comfortable to drive than my previous two sets of bastard packs. I'm trying to find an excuse to pull a trailer with it this weekend and see how it does with a little bit of a load on it. Even though I didn't do anything any of you said, I still appreciate all the input.

:cool:

hook up the trailer, line it with a tarp, fill with water and drive your friends around drinking beer in it :roll:

Back