• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 cherokee only getting 11 mpg

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 cherokee, 184k miles, 4.0, AW4, everything seems to run well. Only problem is the damn thing is only getting 11 mpg with a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. I'm pretty easy on the skinny peddle too.

What should I check for? Has a 2 inch lift and 235 tires...

Definitely share the status of the maintenance items already listed, particularly the o2 sensor, the air filters, and the type of plugs you are running.

Other things to check/test--CTS and MAP sensors.

Are you doing the math to get that gas mileage number? Miles driven divided by gallons consumed is the only accurate way......

Just checking as extrapolating gas mileage by how many miles you get to a tank isn't particularly accurate.

Some good advice given...

1. Plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, air filter ESSENTIAL to good gas mileage
2. Oxygen sensors get lazy when they get old and they often don't set a code until they are really inefficient.
3. Coolant temp sensor and map sensors are important in determining fuel/air ratio and are often overlooked

Good luck!

Back