• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power window not going all the way down

LittleDevilXJ

NAXJA Forum User
92 Limited, electric everything. When I try to put the driver side window down its stops before going all the way down leaving about 2-3" of the window left sticking up. when it gets to that point it starts making a loud clicking, sounds like the motor is off track or something. I pulled the interior panel off, stuck my hand in where I couldnt see and couldnt find anything out of the ordinary. The window stays on its track the entire time, and I couldnt feel anything blocking it from coming down all the way.

any ideas? anyone had this issue?

As it have been stated (in winterbeater's search result), what stops the electric window is not a disconnect of supply voltage, but the motor actually stalls when the window reaches top or bottom, then the operator releases the button.

You have TWO problems.

1) something is binding the window as it moves down. After the motor has stalled, due to the mechanical binding, you observe the second problem,
2) The drive in the window motor/regulator is slipping.

Ths binding problem is likely dirt in the window channel, or often the aged window channel seal in the edges of the channel has frayed and pieces have become pushed down toward the bottom end of the tracks. Since it is now thicker at the bottom, the load on the window drive increases as the window goes down. The Cherokee parts list shows these as "WEATHERSTRIP, Glass Run". I have not bought any in a few years, but the stealership used to sell them as a kit for each door.

You need to fix the binding, or the window will never go all the way down. Then you need to fix the slipping of the drive. If you don't the slipping will continue to get worse and you will be stuck with a window that will not move up or down.

My rear drivers window used to do the same thing, it would go about 2/3 of the way down and start clicking like crazy. I would have to pull it back up about 1/2" to get it moving back up again.

Replaced the window regulator and it fixed the issue, pretty sure the original one was slipping off track

Back