• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cost of gear work?

Ed Wulfe+

NAXJA Forum User
What should be the labor charge to regear and install an ARB in a Dana 30? Any favorite shops in the So Cal area? Thanks for the input.

i would expect $250-$500 just for the install labor depending on where you go, and thats just for the front. do you have the locker and gears already? have a master install kit? are you doing the rear as well?

do it once, and do it right the first time so you never have to do it again. if you ever think you MAY want to go bigger, plan for it now.

Labor rates can vary. The 250-500 is a good estimate for install labor. Are you having the air lines/compressor/switches installed too? Is the axle still under the jeep or removed from the jeep?

Obviously, prices will vary depending on how much you do yourself vs. how much you have the installer do. Also, labor for gear setting is usually cheaper if you bring in the axle vs. it still being under the jeep.

Get in touch with rwk haus supply, you can find him in the sponsor section. He can take care of you if north-east orange county isn't too far of a drive for you.

Labor rates can vary. The 250-500 is a good estimate for install labor. Are you having the air lines/compressor/switches installed too? Is the axle still under the jeep or removed from the jeep?

Obviously, prices will vary depending on how much you do yourself vs. how much you have the installer do. Also, labor for gear setting is usually cheaper if you bring in the axle vs. it still being under the jeep.

Get in touch with rwk haus supply, you can find him in the sponsor section. He can take care of you if north-east orange county isn't too far of a drive for you.

X2 on Robert @ RWK. I just dropped off my Dana 30 for a R&P swap and found his prices to be way better than anyone else in the area.

Thanks for the input! I'll keep the advice in mind.

im having mine done at 4wheelparts....im having both front and rear re-geard, rebuild kits installed, new carriers, and lockers installed. They are charging me 1200 bucks for everything including all parts except the lockers (I already have them).

Hey M1A1(nice unit by the way) Sounds like your labor charge is about like 95REDXJ 's $700-800 for both ends. This seems like an average charge based upon calls to other shops.

Robert K (RWK supply) Did a great job on my gear install, He is a vendor for this site as well

JeeperJohn also does gear work. Have heard good things about his work as well.

4 Wheel Parts has only one person there that installs gears and I know first hand that he does an excellent job he has already done one in the past for me and he will be doing my new XJ also. No corners will be cut. Oh and this is at there Riverside location. His name is Brian.

mine was $2200 to regear a C8.25 and a D30 to 4.56's the carrier for the d30 was the kicker, 800 in labor for front and rear.
Holy wow.

Mine was only $1250 and that included 4.88 R&P's, Front carrier, Rear cross pin, Rear wheel bearings, 4 U-joints, Install kits for front and rear including axle seals.

You should pm Clean Racing on here. He is a Socal chapter member, and does really good gear work.

Back