• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedometer is all over the place

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
recently my speedometer gauge has been all over the place. at one point I was on the highway speeding by people doing a whopping 0mph. what would cause this and how the hell do I fix it?

Sounds like the speed sensor went out, it's attached to the transfer case rear output. You can buy a replacement at the parts stores. Could also be a bad wire to the speed sensor.

Mine dose that every now and then it wont read then start .on mine its the wire a lot of times when it rains it will do it some times I can just turn the key off and back on and will fix it

Check out the plug to it on the transfer case. Disconnect it, spray it out with contact cleaner, apply dielectric grease, and plug it back in. That could be all that's wrong.

Definitely check out the VSS and the wiring. It's not comforting to look down and see you're flying down the highway at 5mph with a semi coming up behind you...and doing Mach 1.2 in schoolzones is frowned upon as well. My first '96 did the exact same thing.

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

Is it bouncing around or just reading zero? Mine was working part time and when it was working it would bounce around a bit. Other times it would say that I was doing 70 mph or something crazy when I was doing much much less. I checked all of the things mentioned above. I finally replaced the cluster with one from a JY and it has been fine ever since.

Back