• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone here running stock control arms with drop brackets and ~4.5" of lift?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
The biggest drawback to my RE 3.5" lift (read: 4.5" lift) has unquestionably been the adverse changes to the damn thing's ride quality... I know that it is mostly due to control arm angles (as I'm running adjustable short arms), and I'd really like to get my near-stock ride back.

I've looked at long arms for quite some time now, and they are just seeming to be a bit too costly a solution. Also, with the wheeling I do, I have yet to need or want any more articulation out of the front end.

So, drop brackets have caught my attention over the past few days. Rough Country's brackets seem to drop everything ~4.5", whereas RE's solution drops them closer to 4". I've been keen on the idea of nix'ing my adjustable upper and lower control arms in favor of stock control arms used with drop brackets.

What, you may ask? This stupid bastard wants to get rid of his beautifully beefy IronMan 4x4 adjustable control arms in favor of the flimsy stamped steel pieces of crap that come on the XJ from the factory? Madness. Pure madness.

Well, yes - my logic is as follows:
  • The stock control arm bushings are rigid as hell, yet supple in the ways of vibration absorption. Good for ride quality, but bad for flex? Well, that begs the next point...
  • The stock control arms are often criticized because of the fact that you can "twist them by hand" (well, some people can). Call me crazy, but wouldn't this be a GOOD thing in the realm of flex/articulation? They're not rigid as all hell, sure, but it seems as though they were designed to twist to some degree to allow articulation.
  • Not sure how critical a factor this is, but it seems as though the factory control arms were intentionally designed as weak links, or sacrificial pieces - in the event of massive front axle trauma (i.e. hitting a significant obstacle at speed), I think I'd much rather have my control arms break/bend than risk ripping my chassis-side control arm mounts clear off the vehicle.
Now, at this point, this all sounds well and good in my head. The factory control arm bushings will last damned near forever, they don't ever need to be greased, and the control arms themselves will twist and turn but spring back to their normal shapes when back in a neutral load state.

Am I retarded, or am I onto something here? Matching a 4.5" lift with 4.5" drop brackets and stock control arms seems like it'd be a great way to get lift whilst retaining most of the vehicle's road manners.

In any case, if you have personal experiences with this combination (drop brackets and stock control arms), please share them - I'm particularly interested in the resulting articulation and road manners.

You won't rip the frame side mounts off probably, you will collapse the axle side mounts. Any sort of axle trauma that results in the axle moving will probably also wreck your shocks, driveshaft (or at least slip yoke and front u-joint), and possibly steering. Don't plan on it happening, try and find a way for it to not happen.

I have folded up a pair of stock uppers and expect to fold another set and probably the lowers soon. Only reason I haven't replaced them yet is that I'm carrying the aftermarket ones I bought as spares, when the stock ones finally fold up, I'll put the aftermarket ones on.

I would get the drop brackets and see if you like them with the aftermarket arms. Then decide what to do from there.

You will also lose adjustability,meaning wheelbase and castor/pinion angles. I too have seen stock arms buckle under wheeling conditions. I do agree on the use of OEM bushings,why not mod your adj arms?

My advice would be to throw the drop brackets on with the adjustable arms you have now, get it all dialed in, and see how it rides. If it is still too uncomfortable, then look at swapping the arms.

If you're going to spend the money on drop brackets and control arms you mine as well just spring for a longarm kit and get the bellypan/skids with it.

I have 5.5 lift with drop brackets and stock arms and I have only broke one lower arm and that's cause I fell on of a 4ft waterfall and landed on it and it just spreat it out. I have no complaints about the flex or ride quality. if you allready have aftermarket arms I say do the brackets with current arms for now and see how you like it and if you don't get stock arms. Sounds kinda like you don't like the upkeep of the arms and just want to forget about them and drive the jeep is that about it once you get the ride quality back?
bentarm.jpg

Run the drop brackets and the Iron Man control arms you already have. Stock sheet metal arms are way too flimsy for any wheeling. See pic above.

I'm running RE Control arm drop brackets with upper and lower WJ control arms at 3.5" of lift. I prefer the strength of WJ over XJ arms but you already have the beefy iron man stuff so I would agree with KingCopa and run drop bracket with your arms now. Just look into grabbing the drop bracket braces also for that added strength.

I had a friend that cut the stock arm ends off then welded box tubing to replace the steel between the two joints. That way he had good ride quality and more strength.

has noone had problems with drop brackets? i've never been a fan of them. besides loseing ground clearence your adding a lot of stress on the weak stock brackets. there is a local guy running drop brackets and when he hits the brakes or gas his wheelbase changes 3". you can see the unibody move. that, to me, would not cut it.

I am running 4.5" lift on RC drop brackets (welded) and stock control arms. Have been running it for the last 2 years... I was at 5" on longarms on my previous XJ.

I have no complaints about the ride or the flex. This XJ flexes just as well as my last XJ and rides smoother on the road. I am going to swap out my control arms but only because I don't want to chew up my new 33x10.5's on the sheet metal lip on the stock control arms. I don't rub right now but it's sure close and I'm pretty sure it'll make contact when I'm in the twisty stuff. I could move the steering stops out a bit but I like as tight of a turning radius as I can get.

But yes, to answer your question, it rides and flexes great.

has noone had problems with drop brackets? i've never been a fan of them. besides loseing ground clearence your adding a lot of stress on the weak stock brackets. there is a local guy running drop brackets and when he hits the brakes or gas his wheelbase changes 3". you can see the unibody move. that, to me, would not cut it.

Tell him to get them welded into place. The drop brackets when welded will NOT have any sort of play or give in them and they will stand up to a TON of abuse... just ask Crazyjim... he runs them on his jeepspeed XJ.

Loose a little ground clearence yes, but if your wheel base is moving 3 inches something is not right. I welded mine on and they work out great. I got mine for 150 used and its one of the best upgrades. Great ride and increased flex.

I've had no problems with my drop brackets and 5" of lift. I can flex more than enough to unseat the springs (which is too much). He did something wrong if you can see the wheelbase change 3" under gas or braking. I've come down on the really hard multiple times and have no damage.

Will I upgrade to long arms eventually - yes. But the drop brackets are more than acceptable for 95% of the trails that a lifted XJ with 33's can run.

With my 35's I run drop brackets, RC 4.5" lower arms, and adjustable uppers. Makes for easy adjustment and rides good. When I installed the drop brackets it moved the axle a little forward also. Looks better if nothing else.

He has some serious problems then!!

I run RC drop brackets with RE Adjustable Superflex lowers and stock uppers. The ride is great and I'm at around 5" of lift up front with 35's. The 35's pretty much negate any issues with lost ground clearance and those brackets are tough anyway. You can see the brackets in the pics, or at least the support brackets.

IMG_3627.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Back