• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Early parts on my 00??

Loizzo

NAXJA Forum User
I want to know if I pick up an early front and rear bumper (90's) will it fit on my 2000? I want to buy a set of the older bumpers from my local junk yard for trail days so not to ruin newer painted stock units.

In case my idea is confusing I plan on removing the new for trail days and replacing with the old unit, not asking if I can use the old bumper with my new end caps and such.

How about the older roof racks? Cause they have rails that go all the way to the front not like my 00 ones where it only goes up to the front doors. I wanna do a DIY light bar using the factory rack bar, but I'd like it to be further forward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you can just shoot me to a link where I can see what's transferable, Thanks.

Swapping bumpers is a major pain just for trail days. Try and take yours off and notice how long it takes you. It's not like swapping wheels. The older roof rack rails would maybe fit if you drilled more mounting holes and used nutserts. Try JCR for a simple light bar that mounts to the drip rails.

really?

the old style and new style front bumper mounts are slightly different, and the bolt holes are in different spots.

for the roof rack you'll need to drill new holes in your roof and add the nutserts, theres a writeup floating around.

the old style and new style front bumper mounts are slightly different, and the bolt holes are in different spots.
Are they?

I had a 96- bumper bolted to the front of my 97+ for awhile. Lined right up.

Swapping bumpers is a major pain just for trail days.
Swapping a front bumper shouldn't take more than 15min. It's 6 bolts.

Granted you need recovery points, so depending on how the OP goes about doing that could really change things.

a 94 bumper was no where near close to lining up on my 98.

but jeeps are dumb who knows what they did with bumpers.
Odd, the bumper I had was originally on a '90 MJ, fit fine on my '97 XJ. That '97 bumper is now on my '99.
I was thinking the whole process of removing the 97-01 end caps as well and when I removed mine, some of the bolts broke in there very rusty condition.
I guess I just assumed the 97+ endcaps would be trimmed at that point thus really only attaching to the bumper and would come right off with it.

I agree, I wouldn't swap bumpers just for a trail ride either, but it isn't all that difficult when they are stock.

So it sounds like I'd have to try it and see, there might be variations or there may not be, I don't mind if I spend a 2-3 hours the night prior to a trail day swapping stuff around.

Does anyone think that I could 3M DST the front portion of the early roof rack as long as the holes further back are bolted in? Asking cause I'd prefer not to drill holes.

Thanks alot for the input. Does someone have a quick link to a write up on removing the stock flares (on the later XJ) as well?

The flares can be knocked off the brackets- they just snap on, except for a single screw where they wrap around the rockers. The brackets themselves are held on with nuts inside the lip of the fender. If you stick your head in there, it should be pretty obvious what is involved.

I would not spend that much time on this... the rear bumper is a major pain. The front bumper isn't quite so bad, there are 6 major bolts plus the 2 8 or 10mm head selftappers holding the endcaps to the fenders.

Does anyone think that I could 3M DST the front portion of the early roof rack as long as the holes further back are bolted in? Asking cause I'd prefer not to drill holes.

Could you do it? Sure, and there's no doubt in my mind that it would keep the front portion of the rails adhered to the roof. But ask yourself what will happen when something connected to the front part of the roof rails gets snagged on a branch or similar...

Thanks alot for the input. Does someone have a quick link to a write up on removing the stock flares (on the later XJ) as well?

Fronts are easy: remove bolt on underside of vehicle at bottom edge of flare. Undo the 10mm nuts around the inside of the wheelarch lip just enough to lift the flare freely out. Leave the retainers in place for refitment or continue removing the 10mm bolts if you want them out as well.

Can't remember the exact procedure for the rear, but it's pretty similar from what I recall.

The very front part of the XJ uniframe didn't change from 1984-2001. Any bumper from any year XJ will fit any XJ. The deal is you cannot use the older brackets with a newer bumper and vise versa, the bottom hole on the bracket is the same, but the top is way different. Match the brackets to the bumper...bolt em up, you're good to go.

Awesome info everyone thank you all for being so responsive.:clap:

casm you make a great point! I would think they'd be fine with DST but yeah if they get snagged it's game over.

BIGSLVRXJ good to know that makes sense and I'll keep it in mind.

Back