• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 carrier pin went in tight, axle takes a lot of effort to turn by hand

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced right rear axle shaft on my stock, c-clip D35 rear. Used a brand new Superior brand OE upgrade piece (still 27 splines). Changed nothing else. Upon removal of the cross pin and axle, one of the small gear washers fell out (but not the gear). I recovered it, reinserted it easily, and continued on. The carrier pin slid back in effortlessly until the last 3/8 of an inch or so. I rotated the carrier, verified position of the gear and washer, everything looked fine.... so I drove it in the rest of the way with a punch. Axle turns very tight by hand, like a locked rear, rotating the whole assembly and driveshaft. If I jerk it loose (try to turn it fast quickly), it still turns tight but the differential functions properly (gears rotating, etc.) But this axle is TIGHT. Even zero play at the hub. Nothing in or out, side-to-side, nothing.

Carrier pin slid between the axle shafts no problem; all gears and washers are present and functioning . . . I called it a night and capped and filled the diff, partly out of frustration and denial.

Do I need to pull this apart again, or is this something that will work itself out with mileage and lubrication?

After plenty of figure-8's in the nearest intersection, funny stares from my neighbors, and some highway driving, I haven't noticed or heard anything besides normal operation. Not a single click, pop, or tire drag. I'll put it up and turn it again by hand this weekend, but so far so good.

Back