• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Question...

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
did a little research but im a little confused on the subject so hopefully someone can straighten me out...

i completely gernaded my 231 this weekend. were there two different 231's made? did the earlier models (pre 97) have smaller spline input/output shafts? ive got a 2000 model cherokee... basically my question is do i have to buy a 97-up 231, or can i buy any 231 out of any year xj?

Through '96 had one type of output (and associated slipyoke and driveshaft), but that changed - actually I think that change was for the 96+

No time to type more, check out my site under XJ History for more about the t-cases. Will check back in the morning with more info.

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

^ correct though some 90s may be 23 spline, not sure if it was a midyear switch.

Also, 95 and down use the non sealed tailcone design and a different length rear driveshaft than 96 and up cases. The 95 and down is less likely to require an SYE at a given lift height; the 96 and up gives you the option of running in 4wd with only the front shaft if you bust up your rear shaft - without your transfer case fluid going everywhere. For a 100% bolt-in install, aim for 96-up if you have a 96-up jeep.

heres why i was wondering... this led to one lonnng night.
75785_10150325240470167_516310166_15521120_1403296_n.jpg

That looks like it sucked just a little bit. What happened?

That looks like it sucked just a little bit. What happened?

not really sure, i was almost to the end of the trail when all of the sudden i had no front dig and after hitting the gas a few times it started making all kinds of awesome noise. from the way the underbelly and my rear driveshaft look if i had to guess i would say the 231 took a pretty hard lick on a rock somewhere along the way...
154712_10150325240375167_516310166_15521118_8357644_n.jpg

Dude - you seriously need an SYE with that! Coils in the back? Tell us more...

Wow:gee: ... I bet that made some serious vibrations even before it broke. The angle of the dangle is way to much even with just an eyeball. I'd kinda like to see the angles on an angle finder. You definitely need a SYE with your new install.

not really sure, i was almost to the end of the trail when all of the sudden i had no front dig and after hitting the gas a few times it started making all kinds of awesome noise. from the way the underbelly and my rear driveshaft look if i had to guess i would say the 231 took a pretty hard lick on a rock somewhere along the way...
(pic of destruction removed)
You couldn't do a front dig with a perfectly functional 231, either :kissyou:

Good luck getting it fixed. I'd invest in a SYE. Got any pics of the rest of the rig?

what do you mean? if the 231 is busted, and the front tires arent digging, then therefor theres no front dig...

build thread...
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=994967&highlight=saybye&page=2
Read this:http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showpost.php?p=1787772&postcount=3

It's really just a mix up of terminology. A dig is used to turn the vehicle without making forward progress. It's especially useful in competition where points are deducted for backing up.

If you know your 231 tech, you'll know that a it's incapable of having the front engaged and the rear output disengaged.

Thanks for the link to your build.

Back