• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35" Tires on a stock Dana 35?

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am curious, how long would a stock Dana 35 hold up running a set of 35" All-Terrains? So far on my stock 35 I have run 33's for a whole year without any problems. I currently run 32 A/Ts but I have plenty of wheel well space to go bigger and I can score a set of 35s right now but I would have to get rid of my 32s. So my question is how long do you think my stock Dana 35 would hold up to a set of 35s granted I only drive a few miles on the freeway each week and around town? Obviously I would be looking for an axle upgrade shortly after. I just need to know that I would still be able to drive my Jeep in the interim.

Thanks!

nuclear-explosion.jpg

i'll give it the first time you go around a corner, catch some sand, get a little wheelspin then catch pavement again.

you are lucky to have it last on 33's

Get a Chrysler 8.25 or something stronger yet if you plan to wheel ever. For light on road use it wont blow up unless you like sick burnouts.

If it was me I would try to find a place to keep/store the 35s untill you get ahold of a stronger axle, maybe ask a friend or your parents if they have some shed/garage space you good use.

If the D-35 is still in pretty good shape, it'll last on the street under light usage. Everyone says, "Oh, they just blow up.", and it's true. Act like an idiot and you can break a D-35 on pavement, with stock tires. It's much easier with 33"s or 35"s Since you've managed to survive with the 33", you can probably get along with the 35"s for a while. Be aware though, the 33-35 step is a lot bigger then the 31-33 step. 35"s seem to be where everything starts coming apart. If you can get a great deal on the 35"s, and you need tires now, I'd say go ahead and get them. I'd also recommend finding a 97-up 8.25 or a D-44 as quick as you can. Even if you don't plan on installing it soon, have it laying around. It'll give you a chance to clean it up, paint it - all that good stuff, before you have to install it just to get the Jeep on the road again.

It'll last till you get to the end of your driveway and have to turn onto the street.

Seriously, I've seen D35s blow turning out of parking lots.
We're going into winter and you live in WA. The first time it snows, you'll be driving home in front wheel drive... you'll get some tire spin and as soon as it locks up those spider gears are gonna grenade.
You said an axle upgrade would be coming shortly after you got the 35s... buy the 35s, put them in your garage, and keep em until you get a beefier axle under there.

It'll last till you get to the end of your driveway and have to turn onto the street.

Seriously, I've seen D35s blow turning out of parking lots.
We're going into winter and you live in WA. The first time it snows, you'll be driving home in front wheel drive... you'll get some tire spin and as soon as it locks up those spider gears are gonna grenade.
You said an axle upgrade would be coming shortly after you got the 35s... buy the 35s, put them in your garage, and keep em until you get a beefier axle under there.

The OP will be driving home on front wheel drive if he is creative. Break a Dana 35 axle and the broken axle/wheel assembly walk right out of the housing.

The OP will be driving home on front wheel drive if he is creative. Break a Dana 35 axle and the broken axle/wheel assembly walk right out of the housing.

Depends on if its a c-clip or non c-clip

Thanks for the advice. Since I literally rally the crap out of my Jeep on the road I think I will wait until I score a beefier axle. I may have identified a couple of Chrysler 29 splines. My understanding is that Jeep made some late model 96s with the 29 spline. This is something that I wasn't aware of in the past. I literally have been trying to score either a Dana 44 or Chrysler 8.25 for the past 4 months over at my local yard. My Dana 35 is a c-clip.

annnnnnddddddd boom goes the dynomite

I run 35s on a d35, along with a lot of people in my area I wheel with and in my jeep club. Locked and open, and some of them have been running it for years without any issues. I bag my jeep pretty hard, especially in the snow.. no issues so far.

Yes, granted some d35's will blow up instantly..but from my experience so far, its fine. As long as you know its a weak spot, then you will be ok.

Dont be an idiot and your fine.

Yeah..there is a lot of haters but you need to talk to someone running the setup (beyond me)..not a bunch of guys that have read it on the internet.

I run 35s on a d35, along with a lot of people in my area I wheel with and in my jeep club. Locked and open, and some of them have been running it for years without any issues. I bag my jeep pretty hard, especially in the snow.. no issues so far.

Yes, granted some d35's will blow up instantly..but from my experience so far, its fine. As long as you know its a weak spot, then you will be ok.

Dont be an idiot and your fine.

Yeah..there is a lot of haters but you need to talk to someone running the setup (beyond me)..not a bunch of guys that have read it on the internet.
Plenty of the guys on here are guys who were running a D35 and had it grenade. You forget, in an XJ club, pretty much everyone has an XJ and lots of those came with D35s. Those of us (like myself) who base it off what they read on the inernet are basing it off of real world experiences from others who have run D35s.

Plenty of the guys on here are guys who were running a D35 and had it grenade. You forget, in an XJ club, pretty much everyone has an XJ and lots of those came with D35s. Those of us (like myself) who base it off what they read on the inernet are basing it off of real world experiences from others who have run D35s.

You have a good point, but the fact is..as long as he has maintained his axle, and knows its limits (which it seems he does) the chances of grenading it are slim

I call BS here. 35s on a D35 isn't a matter of if it'll blow, its when. Throw a locker in there and I'll be shocked if you make it out of your neighborhood without blowing it.
This was on stock tires with a little wheelspin:

IMG_0956.jpg

You forget, in an XJ club, pretty much everyone has an XJ .
I laughed out loud at this one...

When I get my new axle ready to swap, I'm definitely gonna let Mcantar eat his cake and see just what it takes (or doesn't take) to break this thing. Launches, burnouts, 'drifts', etc. I'll even post vids :)

wow i had a shaft snap in my locked d35 with 33s because my jeep set back when its open front didnt climb the rock and i was on it too much thanks to the 3.07 gears. it didnt grenade on the street and it didnt grenade crawling. all that happened was a weak shaft snapped as i would expect. put the XXXXing tires on there and be careful until u can grab a replacement axle. the only reason a d35 would blow up on 31s is if something bound up in it, its not like an open diff has some huge force on the carrier turning.

3 examples
#1 89 yj 4 banger 34x10.5 Swamper ltb's
289 thousand miles on this axle, after the LTB's 200 miles and click click....BOOM! ONLY STREET DRIVEN LIKE AN OLD LADY!

#2 90 xj 4.0 35x12.5 goodyear mt/r's maybe 60 miles !
goin down interstate 5 at 70 miles an hour the whole rear end of the jeep left the ground,this jeep is a pavement princess and it went

#3 91 xj (me) 31x10.5 goodyear duratracs ummm 5 miles ?
went to walker valley after I got my lift and went up the big rock face on the express way and pop click ka-blooommm!

Moral of the story find a bald set of 30's and roll those, 35's will not last evarr! and especially with the great winter were gonna be having here in washington I wouldnt roll a set of 35's simply for the safety of having 4 wheel drive .

i was on 75% tread bfg muds in jv when i snapped the shaft. if u had one blow on 31s it makes it very obvious that urs went for reasons other then the tires, the tires were simply the final straw

Back