• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soundbar Help

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
Okay, it's my turn to ask a question this time - can't seem to find it in my FSM...

I'm installing a soundbar into my '96 2-dr. The wiring harness is there (4-wire plug for the speakers, and 3-wire for the light).

There is an orange wire coming off the soundbar, with a male bullet-type plug on the end. I cannot find anything inside the side panel that matches up - any ideas what it's for and where it goes??

Thanks,
Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

what is it hooked to in the sound bar? Mine didn't have anything but the connections for the speakers and the 3 wire dome light.

what is it hooked to in the sound bar? Mine didn't have anything but the connections for the speakers and the 3 wire dome light.

Same here. Mine is a 96 also. JIM.

Looks like I'm going to have the opportunity to pull it down and check that very thing. The bracket refuses to stay up on the roof, even with liberal application of JB Stick. Guess it's going to be time to pull the bracket out, clean the snot out of it and the roof, and try to find something else to attach it with.

As for the soundbar itself, the harness coming off the bar has those three connectors, and I will have to drop it to trace the orange wire back.

Thanks,
Jim

I don't think I've ever seen a bullet type connector on any of my Jeeps, I'm wondering if that's a previous owner's gig. by my count there should be three to four wires for speakers (+L, +R, and either a shared ground or ground for each) and three wires for the dome (lamp +, ground, and the switch that cuts out the hatch dome light switch).

What bracket are you talking about? The studs that hold the lamp in? From what I recall when I put the sound bar in my '89 it's held at the ends with the roofline trim panels and the center is held from the rear dome light retainer pins (assuming you had the rear dome to begin with, if not you'd need to install them).

The bracket is the one that holds the "rear dome light retainer pins" in place. That was not present in my current Jeep, but Yellaheep included the bracket with the soundbar. The harness looked factory, but I admit I didn't look too closely, as I didn't expect the problems I've been having with this 'simple' project.

For the record - the recommendation that I had to use RTV to glue the bracket in place seemed sketchy but I tried it. It failed when I looked at it crosseyed.

The recommendation to use JB Weld sounded pretty good - two days after installing it I gave it a couple ounces pressure and it popped right off the roof.

Looking for third option at this time.

its a little out of context, but my 87 has those connectors and same colored wire for the power to the vanity mirrors. My guess is that it's for a dome light or something else with a switched ground.

as to sticking the bracket to the roof, is it getting stuck onto one of the cross members or the skin of the roof? If a cross member I'd pop rivet it. If the skin of the roof that's going to be hard.

I don't believe mine even has a bracket- from what I could tell, the stud just screwed into one of the ribs on the roof, and the light clipped to the stud, holding everything in place.

No clue on the wire though, nothing like that in mine either.

I would use body sealer or windshield urethane adhesive (with proper prep/primer) to stick the bracket on. Either that, or Great Stuff :gee:

Are you sure it's orange? If it is actually yellow or pink with residue/pigment bleed from another wire, then it is one of the three for the dome light.

The studs that hold the dome light in screw into the bracket that is spot welded to the roof. The studs on the domeligh in the sound bar are actuall longer than the ones for the dome light w/out the sound bar. I pulled them at the JY when I got my sound bar.

I recovered my sound bar and didn't use the domelight. What I did was make a loop that hooked into the dome light opening in the inside of the sound bar that would swing free on the inside (picture a ammo can handle). Then I poked a small hole that matched it in the headiner. With the back tim paned removed I coud pull the handle up through the headliner (backing and all) and put a half of a paint stir stick in the loop to hold it snug in the middle. Reinstalled the trim panel.

Hopefully you can picture what I am trying to say. It sounds hokey but I guess, no more than using double stick tape or whatever I guess. You could still do the same thing using the dome light too.

Okay - what I'm hearing is that I need to go back out there once it's warmer than 5* and look at my options. Didn't even think about a crossmember in there and didn't look for one. That would be so much better than the damn bracket. Still need to track down the orange wire - I'll get pics once it gets warmer.

Thanks,
Jim

Yeah... 5deg sucks for glues!

The crossmember is NOT welded on, at least on mine. The factory never spot welded in exterior body panels where they are visible because it ripples the metal and leaves a dent. They used an adhesive that looks like a cross between body sealant and greatstuff expanding foam insulation on mine.

Yup, that foamy stuff is what was on my bracket. Now I guess I've got a quantity of JBStick that will need to be removed...now that I have learned I shouldn't have used that crap in the first place.

Factory crossmember is not welded to the roof panel, it's attached at each side at the roof line just like the sound bar. Then it's glued to the roof, that glue dies an early death and if you run without a headliner you get a headache from the sheetmetal roof slapping that bow.

As for the bracket and studs... The bracket may be the same bracket the cargo area lamp uses. If it is then I have that bracket in my red Jeep, if not I do not. As I said before I'm using the studs that were in my Jeep from the factory, those are the shorter ones. You have to push a bit but it will work, my sound bar has been in for a long time now and hasn't fallen down yet!

Back