• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie needs help

rdltmc3

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 Cherokee sport 4door. 4.0 motor 4x4. That's all I know about it. The 4x4 stopped working last year and would like some input on why/how to fix it. I pull up on the lever and everything moves fine but nothing engages?? When I got it it worked 2 times but never again. Any help

You probably need to adjust the linkage from the selector lever at the transfer case. Are you sure that the 4x4 isn't engaging or could it be just the indicator light? More often, just the light isn't working.

You can put it up on stands and try turning wheels to figure it out, or test it on a slippery surface like a dirt road. You should easily be able to spin a rear tire on dirt if it isn't engaged.

Yeah, they don't quite have it right.

First, remove the transfer case shift bezel.

Second, you need to pull the transfer case shift lever into 4LO, then place a 3mm (1/8" in) shim between the lever and the shift gate. Anchor the shift lever in that position, pressing against the shim and shift gate, with a bungee cord.

Third, crawl under the XJ and locate the adjusting trunnion block with the locking bolt in it--up high. Loosen the locking bolt.

Fourth, manually shift the transfer case into 4LO fully. You can do this with a prybar or large pliers working against the transfer case shift tab--where the lower end of the low shift rod attaches.

Fifth, tighten down the trunnion locking bolt.

Sixth, remove the bungee cord and shim, replace the bezel, test the transfer case.

Back