• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sporadic Coolantt Leak

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
Several weeks ago I noticed some fluid under the front passenger side of the jeep. The next morning I started it up let it run for a few minuets checked again and found nothing. Seeing how I had washed the jeep the day before I figured it was just water draining from somewhere. I keep an eye on it for a few days and did not notice another leak or puddle.
Fast forward to last night. I get out of the store and find a pretty large puddle of coolant. I took a peak underneath and found coolant to be dripping from somewhere on the passenger side near the radiator but as it was dark I could not really make out where it was coming from. this morning I started it up again and again nothing leaking I also opened up the radiator and it was full of coolant. Does any one have any idea what is going on? thank in advance

1999 Xj lifted no engine mods

Well, what is the level of coolant in the recovery bottle?

It was low this morning below the need to fill line.

Ok, so you are losing coolant. Lets try a new radiator cap and replace the overflow hose to make sure you have a tight fit on the nipples (I love that word).

Use a 16 psi cap, standard no lever. The parts store will tell you 13 psi, just have them cross it over to a 16 psi that will fit. Those 3 little psi difference helps a lot with raising the boiling point.

Monitor the coolant level and under the vehicle for any further signs. Also, might not hurt to tighten the rad hose clamps.

Mine is leaking and leaving the puddle in the same place. I had one pinhole leak in the plastic tank. I tossed in a bottle of bars leak and it stopped of a couple days and now leaks around on the front side where I can only see the mist with a flashlight when it is hot. It is using one quart of water every 50 miles. I posted tonight to help find a good replacement radiator. I would rather change this over the Thanksgiving break in my garage, then one the side of the highway in the dark. Good luck!

Get er done SOONEST!
First freeze due here in TX mid week.
Cold , Windy Thanksgiving.

Those pinholes in hoses, etc. - as mentioned above. Shutdown hot engine at night and a bright flashlight , hunt for mist cloud (s).

For Ref: a good cooling system needs Zero to a few ounces
to be added in 6 months-1 year. Add the proper mix of coolant to Coolant tank, Avoid opening the radiator cap.

Burp it.

Bars Leak etc. NOT recommended.

Thermostat - Stant Super as recommended by Joe, or dealer Mopar.

Good Luck,
Orange

Mine is leaking and leaving the puddle in the same place. I had one pinhole leak in the plastic tank. I tossed in a bottle of bars leak and it stopped of a couple days and now leaks around on the front side where I can only see the mist with a flashlight when it is hot. It is using one quart of water every 50 miles. I posted tonight to help find a good replacement radiator. I would rather change this over the Thanksgiving break in my garage, then one the side of the highway in the dark. Good luck!

No surprise the Bar Leak band-aid didn't hold. Time to hunt down a radiator. The all-metal CSF from radiatorbarn.com or DPG offroad is good quality at a reasonable price without the crappy plastic tanks.

While you have the radiator out, consider replacing the water pump and thermostat. I've had that bars leak crap take out the water pump bearing. If the hoses are questionable replace them too.

I wanted to update. I did the cap replacement as well as the overflow hose and all seemed well until today when I noticed that it was leaking again. I popped the hood to take and could see some coolant on the inside passenger corner of the radiator, but no actual starting point of the leak.

Sounds pretty similar to the leak I had on my '99 last year. Ended up being a leak where the plastic tank is crimped onto the metal radiator. Same spot, only leaked sometimes, and was hard to pinpoint where exactly it was coming from as it would run down the seam.

Replaced the radiator with a 3-row CSF. Sorry, probably not the answer you were hoping for. Also took the opportunity to replace all the hoses (good thing I did, about to fail), fan clutch (maybe a good thing?), and water pump (not necessary, still looked like new). I had just recently replaced the radiator cap and thermostat so I skipped those.

Replaced the radiator with a 3-row CSF. Sorry, probably not the answer you were hoping for. Also took the opportunity to replace all the hoses (good thing I did, about to fail), fan clutch (maybe a good thing?), and water pump (not necessary, still looked like new). I had just recently replaced the radiator cap and thermostat so I skipped those.

Yeah not what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna take the aux fan and shrouds off tomorrow and see what i can see. I'm hoping with everything off i can isolate the leak. If it ends up being the radiator then I guess I'm replacing it.

Was it a hard job? I did my lift,and SYE, but I have not really messed around with the engine other than tune ups and oil changes.

Yeah not what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna take the aux fan and shrouds off tomorrow and see what i can see. I'm hoping with everything off i can isolate the leak. If it ends up being the radiator then I guess I'm replacing it.

Was it a hard job? I did my lift,and SYE, but I have not really messed around with the engine other than tune ups and oil changes.

Back