• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences in Crank Position Sensors?

redsand187

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just wondering what the difference is between CPS's. Three options come up when I search the parts websites, one says for manual, two say for automatic. Anyone know what the difference is?

What website or database ? What year XJ ? What transmission ? What size engine ?

I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but the crankshaft position sensor is one thing I always purchase from the dealer for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge. It is worth the extra money.

I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but the crankshaft position sensor is one thing I always purchase from the dealer for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge. It is worth the extra money.

your ckp goes to a guage? what does the guage measure??

There's one for RENIX, one for OBD I, and I think another for OBD II (same as the OBD I electrically iirc, but different connector possibly...)

Probably other wacky ones for 84-86, and there was a high altitude RENIX one that just had some advance built into it.

Don't believe there is a manual/auto difference, perhaps you are looking at the TPS/throttle position sensor for a RENIX? In that case, auto will work for both auto and manual, and manual ones are expensive so just buy the auto one, you will end up with an "extra" connector hanging off it, that's fine.

Also make sure its the CKPS you're looking for. The FSM uses the abbreivation CPS for the camshaft position sensor, and CKPS for the crankshaft position sensor.

A sampling of FSM Terminology over the years:

1988-1990:

engine speed sensor and crankshaft position sensor--CPS.

synch pulse signal (stator) and synch signal generator

1995:

crankshaft position sensor (note: CPS is used only once and that is in the description of the crankshaft position sensor connector figure)

camshaft position sensor

1999:

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Camshaft Position Sensor

2000-2001:

Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor

Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor

buy OEM i just did one on a cherokee the other day my dumb boss ordered 3 aftermarket before finally taking my advice and getting OEM and we finally fixxed it.

I was looking up at autozone and shucks/o'reilly both give 3 options. It's a 95, 4.0 auto. I'm not sure if it has OBD2 on it or not. I know it technically shouldn't but that there are some late 95's with it. I'm going to go pick up this jeep and it sounds like it needs a CPS. I was going to hook-up a scanner to it and check for the crank signal and if it's not getting a signal I was going to toss in the sensor and hopefully drive it, otherwise I'll have to dolly tow it. I was just wondering why there are apparently 2 for a 4.0 Auto and if there really is a difference. Chances are whichever one I guess it has, it will be the other.

Ooppppsss...

I was thinking about both the crank sensor and the oil pressure sending unit thread which I answered just before.

Gotta get more coffee I think.

Good catch. Nope, no gauge for a crank sensor circuit!

lol i was just wondering becuase i was gonna put a guage on mine :rof:

i beleive the auto has 2 options, a "sea level" and a "high altitude"

i believe the auto has 2 options, a "sea level" and a "high altitude"

Only if the Jeep is a Renix would this be true. The OP has an OBD-I Jeep.

The two CPS pictured at the IdiotZone website appear to be OBD-I on top and OBD-II below that. A simple visual inspection of the CPS while still in the vehicle will determine which one to purchase. A 1995 should be an OBD-I. The IdiotZone parts database is full of errors. The sensors at IdiotZone are junk.

Last edited:
The VEHICLE EMISSION LABEL under the hood will tell you if you have an "OBD-I or OBD-II compliant vehicle for the year the vehicle was sold".

My wifes 95 GC is OBD-1, to access the DTC's you turn ignition key on-off 3 times ending in the on position, then the codes will flash via the "check engine" lite.

*note* A BAD CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR WON'T FLASH A CODE

I know your CPS isn't a problem, just letting know some info for future reference.:wow:

The VEHICLE EMISSION LABEL under the hood will tell you if you have an "OBD-I or OBD-II compliant vehicle for the year the vehicle was sold".

My wifes 95 GC is OBD-1, to access the DTC's you turn ignition key on-off 3 times ending in the on position, then the codes will flash via the "check engine" lite.

*note* A BAD CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR WON'T FLASH A CODE

I know your CPS isn't a problem, just letting know some info for future reference.:wow:

It may or may not have a code 11 in it for a crank sensor. I have a snap-on scanner with all the adapters. I'm not going to look for a code, I'm looking for an RPM signal while cranking. If it does not have an RPM then it will help confirm my suspicion.

I too have had a Cheapy fail right away. Think they are hard to do on an XJ? Try a 5.9 ZJ.. Took me 8 hours!

then it failed 3 weeks later.. The mopar unit i have now, has been good for 7 months now (knock on wood)

Where is it on the 5.9, the worst location possible as usual?

I can do one on a fully warmed up 4.0 XJ in under 10 minutes, on the side of the road, they aren't all that hard :looney:

OP - yeah, the 95s were weird. So were the 96s. So were some of the 97s. For a 95 it really could be either connector... my advice: buy both, try whichever fits if you need to. Return the other(s).

Where is it on the 5.9, the worst location possible as usual?

I can do one on a fully warmed up 4.0 XJ in under 10 minutes, on the side of the road, they aren't all that hard :looney:

OP - yeah, the 95s were weird. So were the 96s. So were some of the 97s. For a 95 it really could be either connector... my advice: buy both, try whichever fits if you need to. Return the other(s).
For me, I lower the Cross member, Drop the trans/motor down, Drop the exhaust down, then reach up behind the passenger side head.:tears:

oh yeah... I forgot completely that they didn't do MPFI on the V6, and it was only introduced on the I4 and I6 in 91 and 87, respectively... :dunce:

Back