• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which gearing is better?

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
i am in the middle of swapping my peugoat to an ax-15 and am considering getting the axles from the donor also. it has 4.10 gears.

mine currently has a LP30 and an 8.25 with 3.55's

the new axles would be a HP30 and another 8.25 both with 4.10 gears

would 4.10's be any better than my 3.55's i am running 33x10.50 15 super swamper tsl's i was told i probably would not notice a difference but would like a second opinion

Thanks,
Mitch

If it the price is right, do it.
4.56 would be better but 4.10 will work and be be a lot better than 3.55 gears.

3.73+33s=basically back to stock 4.10+33s=a ratio past stock and obviously 4.56s would be alot over stock and have low top end. for one the 4.10s will feel waaaaaay different and two is the 8.25 29 spline like yours is or pre 96 27 spline?

EDIT: forgot to ad that generally a stock ax15 comes with 3.07s so 3.55s is already a little regeared but still under. i gaurantee you will feel a huge extremely obvious power boost over the 3.55s

the donor jeep is a 94 i am not sure which shafts it has my jeep is an 88 and the 8.25 was swapped in. im not sure which shafts are in my current one but have been curiouse to find out. how much stronger are the 29 spline shafts?

how big of a difference will 4.10's make on the road/wheeling.

it seems pretty slugish with the 3.55's

and the donor jeep is going to the junker after i get threw with it so i can swap the axles at no charge.

Thanks,
Mitch

Obviously lower gears are better for running bigger tires. An HP D30 is better than an LP D30. 27 spline vs 29 spline 8.25? Either will work fine. If your current axle is 29 spline, you can always swap the carrier and shafts over, you'd have to reset the gears though.

hope im getting all this correctly... you have a LP30 and 8.25 in your '88 cherokee? did the 8.25 come off of the same jeep as the LP30? if so its got to be 29 spline.

im not sure of the interchagability of the unit bearing/shaft combination on the 30s, but your LP shafts will work on a HP30 provided the right unit bearing (might be some misinformation here, look into it further).

this thread may settle your mind on a 27 spline axle. it may not.... take it for what its worth. but i think youll be happier with 4.10s. look into a full case locker down the road and have them swap in the shafts from your 29 spline axle. use the housing in the mean time to gather parts and set up a rear disk swap. :thumbup:

hope im getting all this correctly... you have a LP30 and 8.25 in your '88 cherokee? did the 8.25 come off of the same jeep as the LP30? if so its got to be 29 spline.

im not sure of the interchagability of the unit bearing/shaft combination on the 30s, but your LP shafts will work on a HP30 provided the right unit bearing (might be some misinformation here, look into it further).

this thread may settle your mind on a 27 spline axle. it may not.... take it for what its worth. but i think youll be happier with 4.10s. look into a full case locker down the road and have them swap in the shafts from your 29 spline axle. use the housing in the mean time to gather parts and set up a rear disk swap. :thumbup:

it use to have HP30 and dana35 with a i think a lock right? in the front and a posi rear end the 35 blew up. and the 8.25 came off a newer jeep not sure on year not the same jeep as the 30 though. the 30 came of a 2001. it had the LP30 when i bought the jeep.

will probably try and swap the axles regardless i think they are both 27 spline.

and regardless i will be getting better gears and a HP30 i have a 5.5" lift and to my understanding if i want go any taller, which i do. i will need a high pinion axle. is that correct?

Thanks,
Mitch

ya that lp30 threw me off... made me assume you had a 00 or whateva. if that 8.25 was from the same heep as the lp30 then swap over carrier and shafts. and the 4.10s will be much much nicer on and off road. better torque and better town milage for sure.

EDIT: well you could probly say need but it is for sure better to have the hp30 if you go high

the LP30 was only offered in '00-'01. if the 8.25 came off of the same jeep it is indeed 29 spline. you can reuse the carrier, spiders, and shafts in the axle with 4.10s... but 27 spline and open diffs should be more than enough for 33s. save up money for a full case locker (meant for 29 spline) and put them in with the locker install. the gears will have to be reset regardless with a full case locker.

ya that lp30 threw me off... made me assume you had a 00 or whateva. if that 8.25 was from the same heep as the lp30 then swap over carrier and shafts. and the 4.10s will be much much nicer on and off road. better torque and better town milage for sure.

EDIT: well you could probly say need but it is for sure better to have the hp30 if you go high

haha yeah everyone always gets confused when i tell them it has the LP :laugh:

i am pretty sure the 8.25 came from an older jeep and i know it was not the same one. most likely 27 spline

going to see about getting the axles also tomorrow still have not gotten the ax-15 out the donor jeep either.

Thanks,
Mitch

the LP30 was only offered in '00-'01. if the 8.25 came off of the same jeep it is indeed 29 spline. you can reuse the carrier, spiders, and shafts in the axle with 4.10s... but 27 spline and open diffs should be more than enough for 33s. save up money for a full case locker (meant for 29 spline) and put them in with the locker install. the gears will have to be reset regardless with a full case locker.

i am eventually going to buy a detroit. but that wont be for a good amount of time. so its going to be open for awhile.

is a 29 spline 8.25 weaker/same/stronger than a 44?

If you have any intention of wheeling it go as deep as your wallet can handle, nothing worse than trying to wheel an undergeared stick.

it actually isnt to bad when wheeling, but i have only taken this jeep on 3 trips. i only notice the lack of gearing when driving on the road speeding up from a stop.

it actually isnt to bad when wheeling, but i have only taken this jeep on 3 trips. i only notice the lack of gearing when driving on the road speeding up from a stop.

Try climbing some steps, you'll feel it. Even my old Chief with a five speed, 30s, and 3.55's (better than the OEM 3.07s) was annoying on Hell's Revenge in Moab.

Try climbing some steps, you'll feel it. Even my old Chief with a five speed, 30s, and 3.55's (better than the OEM 3.07s) was annoying on Hell's Revenge in Moab.

maybe i will notice a difference with the 4.10s my last Cherokee was an auto and i wheeled it alot different than the 5 speed

maybe i will notice a difference with the 4.10s my last Cherokee was an auto and i wheeled it alot different than the 5 speed

Automatics are a lot more forgiving, generally unless it's geared low with low transfer case gearing I prefer automatics off road, especially in rocks. On the street I prefer manuals.

Both of my current Jeeps have automatics.

i am eventually going to buy a detroit. but that wont be for a good amount of time. so its going to be open for awhile.

is a 29 spline 8.25 weaker/same/stronger than a 44?
not as strong as the 44 but plenty strong up to 35s.

you will, low range will feel LOW like its designed to.

If you have any intention of wheeling it go as deep as your wallet can handle, nothing worse than trying to wheel an undergeared stick.

Yeah tell me about it. I havnt taken my dads 5spd, TJ on 33's offroad in months, But it sure looks sweet at the mall :greensmok

Back