• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so....replacing some rear glass

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
is there a way to get the remainder glass out of the old seal or do I need to find a new seal?

Not even sure where to find a window seal for a 89 with the pop-out sail windows.

you can, if you goto home depot or such, and get a pair of these ... OR just carefully pick it all out, maybe wet it and use a plastic puttyknife?

this is assuming your seal is in decent condition.

started to try and chip it out with a screwdriver and it started the break into dust and small pieces flying all over the place. So decided to hold off until I get more info.

I don't think your going to find a replacement seal they're quite rare.

Last edited:
i break quite a bit of glass, working for a glass company that gets glass sizes wrong a lot...
its never clean, but someones gotta clean it out. pull it off the unibody, and get all the crap out. wear a mask, gloves, and safety glasses if you want. theres no magic trick.

are you talking about the rear quarter windows behind the doors? every time i've taken them out of an XJ the rubber slides off them pretty easily. i would remove the rubber from the jeep and fold it back on itself, to open the channels as much as possible. most of it would fall right out. Unless I'm confused on what windows you are talking about.

I have broken a few of these 2dr rear windows through the years on my Heep. If you pull a "new" one from the JY, typically it already has the seal on it. I just pulled the seal from my broken window, tossed in the trash and installed the "new" window, seal and all.

are you talking about the rear quarter windows behind the doors? every time i've taken them out of an XJ the rubber slides off them pretty easily. i would remove the rubber from the jeep and fold it back on itself, to open the channels as much as possible. most of it would fall right out. Unless I'm confused on what windows you are talking about.
Same... just whacking the old seal from mine against a trashcan knocked most of the glass chunks out of it. I kept it as a spare in case I bungle an install in the future, or have to cut a seal to get glass out of a junker quickly or something.

This is the rear glass. I might get time to look in a junkyard otherwise I'll get to it and start pulling out the pieces. Just wasn't sure if it was glued in. Thanks.

IMGP7967.JPG

It's not supposed to be glued in, but this does not guarantee that someone has not attempted to seal it with silicone or something else later. If it's unglued, it is, as others mention, just a tedious job of removing the bits without cutting yourself to shreds, but it should work.

well update, the older style like I have are glued into the seal. I was working on getting the broken glass out the old seal but after three hours of picking pieces out and using a heat gun to soften up the seal and only getting 1/4 of the glass out, I called J&W wrecking yards and asked for a new seal.

So they call me and say they can't get the glass out of the seal, full glass window. So they skipped the whole thing, I spend a bit dinking with the glass trying to pull it out and no go so install the whole thing.

Only reason I was trying to get the glass out is I wanted to switch to polycarb. And putting the new seal in was a PIA, next time I am going to just cut a sheet of polycarb to the right size slap a foam gasket on the backside and bolt it to the window channel.

Back