• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question AW4 '96>2000

chasdb

NAXJA Member 3643
NAXJA Member
Is the AW4/231 the same in the 96 and 2000 model or has there been a change? I'm at work and can't break free to search and found a newer heep!

-Charles

Spline counts are the same, there is likely a difference in the senders but that can be changed over.

You are talking 4x4 to 4x4 or 2wd to 2wd, not trying to mix apples and oranges, right?

If you are putting the 2000 AW4 in the 96, you can do that with some minor sensor swapping and cable splicing.

If you are putting the 96 AW4 in the 2000, it may or may not work. The only possible way to make this work is to use a 97 (and only 97) TCU as well as the 97/earlier AW4, and I have not verified that this will work. If you can find a source for a cheap 97 AW4 TCU and don't mind being a guinea pig (with the downside being that you may have to find another transmission and spend the time to swap it in after the first one + the 97 TCU don't work out) go for it.

With the switch to two sensors in 1998, the rear speed sensor changed from 1 pulse/rev to 4 pulses/rev. So, you need to swap the rear sensor rotor and sensor if putting a 98+ AW4 into an older Cherokee that expects 1 pulse/rev.

1997-2001 AW-4’s have a different Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) than the 1996 and earlier.

The transmission input spline count is 21 splines for 1987-1990 and 23 splines for 1996-2001.

87-90

0.70:1 OD ratio
21 spline output shaft
Electrical connections- early model
One transmission speed sensor (output only)

91-96

0.75:1 OD ratio
23 spline output shaft
Electrical connections - early model 6 pin wire connector
One transmission speed sensor (output only) 6 pin wire connector

97-

23 spline output shaft
Electrical connections - late model 8 pin wire connector
One transmission speed sensor (output only)

98-01

23 spline output shaft
Electrical connections late model 8 pin wire connector
Two transmission speed sensors (input and output)

Are you sure about the connector on the 97 tranny? I'm not, I seem to recall having pulled a connector from one for prototyping only to discover that it was the wrong one and wouldn't fit 96- OR 98+. Might be wrong, though, it has happened before.

Otherwise, that is a great list :yelclap:

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying it and paying his asking price. He took 2 calls while I was looking at it. Ended up being a 2000 with a 4.0, 242, Rubicon superflex 4.5 with new uninstalled leaf packs, monotubes, new 31's and a fuel tank skid plate. If money runs short I'll try the swap otherwise I have a motor for the 96 and will need to troubleshoot the trans on the 2k.

Around here used XJ transmissions are cheap as dirt. Save yourself the trouble and get the correct transmission. Try www.car-part.com

Subscribed just for Tim_MN's list.

Good job, Tim.

Back