• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87-90 fuel pumps Renix

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I had a non working fuel pump about 18 months ago, 20,000 miles ago on my 87 XJ Wagoneer. I cleaned the fuel pump QC male/female connectors and ground/external connection at the rear of the face plate on the outer housing and the fuel pump has worked ever since. 2 weeks ago the same thing happened to my daughter's 89 XJ. I cleaned the same connectors on it and that fuel has worked ever since.:D

Most people would have replaced the fuel pumps. I think it may partly be a grounding issue over time.

Thanks for adding to the collective. :)

I just swapped out my a renix pump I was sure was bad, even though i could hear it working the truck would die every time i touched the gas pedal and would barely idle. Turns out the feed hose was rotted out inside the tank (from the pump to the hardline that passes through the plate). Next time I'm starting with the fuel pump instead of swapping in all my spare sensors and such.

Next time check the fuel pressure with a live gauge.

You can at least cycle the pump on and off, by turning the key to run for 7 seconds then off, but do not start, then check the fuel rail fitting, Schrader valve (looks like a tire valve) to see it is holding any pressure. Fuel should squirt out. Mine had no pressure, so I knew the pump was not running (the lack of sound confirmed it as our pumps are noisy at start up, before cranking the engine.

did that, shot out to the fenderwell. the hose was just together enough to pressurize the rail, but just not enough to run the engine. Trust me I was baffled for a good hour, I even pulled the fuel line from the rail and cycled the key, a good healthy stream of fuel shot out (and all over my buddy :D). you are correct though a pressure gauge would have been a dead giveaway that it was a fuel delivery problem.

Mike, the key when doing the shoot it out test is to look for air bubbles, I bet that steady stream had air in it too.

That hose is one of the first things I suspect when I have problems that feel like starvation and I can still hear the pump going. I haven't had the problem with grounding but then I live in California, I'm spoiled ;)

Next time I have a problem Geoff I'm calling you and cal on a conference call then you guys can work it out, then you can come fix it. :D

I just swapped out my a renix pump I was sure was bad, even though i could hear it working the truck would die every time i touched the gas pedal and would barely idle. Turns out the feed hose was rotted out inside the tank (from the pump to the hardline that passes through the plate). Next time I'm starting with the fuel pump instead of swapping in all my spare sensors and such.

And how many people told me that it was impossible when I said that happened to both of mine? Jeebus...

Back