• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shock length

djm2475

NAXJA Forum User
i just installed a new motion offroad 3'' lift with new spring pack.. my question is with the truck at ride height how muc should i have to compress the shocks to install on the lower mount. i only had to compress the shock 1'' it seems like not enough. i was thinking about cutting off the lower mount and relocating higher. so i would have to compress the shock around 4'' or more to allow for good axle travel...

a lot of stockish suspension setups use 50/50 up/down travel, so on a 10" travel shock, you'd want about 5" of shaft showing at ride height... 1" is not enough. your shocks may be 8"ers, so 4" showing would be right.

seems like youve got a good plan, that'd be easy assuming you have a proper welder. you could also try longer shocks, i ran a 3" lift kit with 10" foxes, it was great. if you know someone who has a spare 10" shock, it'd be nice to hold it up and see how it fits.

shock fitment is a touchy subject, and i use my jeep differantly then most.

You should have to compress about half of the exposed length of the shock shaft - about 4-5". 1" is way to little (assuming it is a gas-charged shock which fully extends when you leave it free), it will prevent you from drooping the rear suspension. Relocation of the bottom mount is a good idea.

thanks guys, i ordered everything from motion i have 5150 rear shocks not sure about the length thou (came as a kit from them). how do you guys feel about using the stock lower mount and just remounting it? or should i just fab up a new one and mount it next to the leaf spring? im a pretty good welder and fab guy, just have a lot on my plate, so time is limited for me.

thanks guys, i ordered everything from motion i have 5150 rear shocks not sure about the length thou (came as a kit from them). how do you guys feel about using the stock lower mount and just remounting it? or should i just fab up a new one and mount it next to the leaf spring? im a pretty good welder and fab guy, just have a lot on my plate, so time is limited for me.

Cut off the mount and use a 2.75-3.25" hole saw (depending on your axle) to get the curve where you want it then weld it back at the height you want. It works as well as any set of aftermarket shock tabs... maybe better. Good time to switch to an 8.8.

its up to you, dont forget you could find them for sale by many shops. if time is REALLY tight, i'd buy new ones, and hack the old ones off with extreme prejudice. politely cutting off the old ones, and modifing them to fit higher can take as much time as fabbing new, simple shock mounts, its all up to you.

can you take a measurement off your shocks travel? you shouldnt really have to do this kinda stuff for a 3" lift kit. motionoffroad isnt the best source either.

its up to you, dont forget you could find them for sale by many shops. if time is REALLY tight, i'd buy new ones, and hack the old ones off with extreme prejudice. politely cutting off the old ones, and modifing them to fit higher can take as much time as fabbing new, simple shock mounts, its all up to you.

can you take a measurement off your shocks travel? you shouldnt really have to do this kinda stuff for a 3" lift kit. motionoffroad isnt the best source either.

All true... I LIKE free. Some like convenience.

i just used 2x2" 1/4" wall square tube cut a 2" piece of it then cut it in half and drilled a hole and welded a bolt through super cheap and easy two cuts and 2 holes :)
IMG00254-20101007-1350.jpg

i just installed a new motion offroad 3'' lift with new spring pack.. my question is with the truck at ride height how muc should i have to compress the shocks to install on the lower mount. i only had to compress the shock 1'' it seems like not enough. i was thinking about cutting off the lower mount and relocating higher. so i would have to compress the shock around 4'' or more to allow for good axle travel...

Just FYI, beware when buying from Motion Offroad that they have a bad reputation for selling other peoples stuff and labeling it as there own. If you search on here you'll find a couple threads about people that got screwed by Motion Offroad.

thanks guys, im finding more out about motion offroad then i knew. i started making new lower mounts will post pics when done ..thanks

Back