• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Spicer U-Joint cap popped its top.

s14unimog

NAXJA Forum User
I started working on the ball joints last week and noticed that one of my U-joints, at the spindle joint, was a bit sticky. After closer inspection, I noticed that one cap was actually damaged and I could see the dried up needle bearings. Anyways, I had to wait until Monday for the shop in town, who carries Spicer, to be open. I finally got around to installing the new ones tonight when I ran into a little snag. I wasn't doing the 5lb sledge and socket routine; just a ball joint press and an impact. Now let me clarify on impact, we're talking barely pop'in it, none of this hammer'n action. I just couldn't get enough leverage with my 1/2" socket wrench; not to mention I'm only 155lbs. I had the entire thing together when I just couldn't quite get the last c-clip in. I pop'ed it one more time and "POP!" the end of the one already clipped in just popped off... Has anyone ever seen this before? :dunno:

U-JointInstall-11-15-10002.jpg

U-JointInstall-11-15-10004.jpg

the balljoint press and impact is your problem, your probly having the needels fall in

no I can assure you the needles never moved. If you notice in the damaged picture that ring over the ends of the needle bearings will come out now. They were all in place. I was very cautious pressing them together; this was just moving it that last bit. I was able to use the 1/2" ratchet for a majority...

I still don't doubt that the impact could have been the reason but I've seen guys take a 5 lb sledge to one with a socket and never heard of this.

i always tap em in with a hammer and socket if needed, never had a issue

Well the guys over at the truck parts store didn't hesitate to replace it. So that's nice. Their driveline guy said he has never seen that happen. I offered to pay but they refused it and said they would just "turn it in" maybe it shouldn't have happened after all...

Nash Heavy Duty Truck Parts
1051 Winterville Road
Athens, GA 30605-2045
(706) 549-7914

They have a full driveline shop with balancing equipment too. I've had them make me a few for other projects and they did excellent work.

happened to me when i used a ball joint press to get the u-joints in, has never happened to me with the hammer method.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the ears on the axleshaft are bent in slightly from the pressing, so you ended up putting the cap on too far. Check if the bores through the ears are true.

I had the same thing happen, but the needle bearing had fallen into the cap on the opposite end, and I pushed the end of the trunnion right through the cap on the other side. If you do suspect that the ears are bent, I would replace the axle rather than try to spread it back apart. Once metal bends like that it is already fatigued and the likelihood that it will fail on you prematurely is increased quite a bit.

Back