• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Our dog at work attacked my XJ today. Chewed up the metal fender and ripped out a bunch of wires in the process snaping the 0xygen sensor in half and ripping apart another sensor that is on the drivers side on the engine block just above the oil pan. Can I drive with out these sensors I know the 02 will make it run like shit but what about the other sensor and is it the knock sensor or what. Thanks.
Don't worry we don't have a dog anymore :mad: ;)

It was parked in the parking lot and I guess I ran over something dead and he could smell it. I didn't notice the wires and fender until I was walking out to the warehouse I saw the wires hanging down. Anyone have an answer.

Sounds like the mystery sensor you got on the drivers side is the knock sensor. You should be ok to drive it to where your gonna park and repair those wires. Thats of course providing the mutt didnt chew thru any really important wires.

Mike

If the O2 sensor is not working at all will most likely not run well. Will not kill it to run like that for a bit, but do not go too far. Will be most hard on the catalytic converter running rich as it will do.

You're kidding right ??

No rich I am not kidding I will get some pics of the fender. So I hooked up one of the plugs that came undone and the knock sensor just had the outside ripped off so I put the plug on the end of the forks that were sticking out seems to work good. As for the o2 sensor I have it hooked but just dangling under the jeep. And she runs just like she did before the attack except for a little loss of power and loud exhaust due to the large hole in the manifold. As for the Cat convertor not a problem(shhh.). So I guess my o2 sensor hasn't been working anyway. DIG IT!

It's not a "Highjacking" if you brought it up in first place right? So let's hear more about how 3300lbs. of sheet metal and wires pissed this dog (what kind) off?

Attack

Maybe the H2 owner released Cujo and Damion to get back at embarassing footage of H2 pulled out by a Jeep.

I have a 88 XJ and carry collision and comprehensive. I am wondering if you have comprehensive.

If you have comp them it time for your insurance to pay for the repairs, all the damage the dog did. You want wiring repairs which restore the harness to the factory standards, no wire nuts hanging in the engine compartment.

Sounds like you have some paint & body work along with the electrical work. Are you planning on fixing the XJ yourself?

It is situations like this is why we have comprehensive insurance.

You can drive without an oxygen sensor and knock sensor. You may run rich and have pinging but the engine will run. Just would not recommend it as the long term fix.

I hooked the knock sensor back up and the O2 is still hanging down but the funny thing is that is runs just like it did except for a louder exhaust leak. I guess the o2 sensor wasn't working anyway.
The dog is part pit and part lab. Size of a lab with muscle and head of a pit.

Back