• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for '93 cheap exempt exhaust?

tapher

NAXJA Forum User
I got down under my XJ and the exhaust system has a number of holes in it, both at the CAT and all points back. In IL, anything after '95 is emissions exempt if it passed in 2007, so I'll never need to have it checked for emissions again.

Anybody have ideas of the CHEAPEST way to put together a complete exhaust system that's pretty quiet? No CAT will be needed. I'd be fine with a system just clamped together. No high perf parts, stainless steel, or other fancy stuff.

Thanks! I know I can't be the only super-cheap XJ owner who doesn't wheel!

-Josh

The CAT is federally mandated (that means "required by law") unless your vehicle is off-road only.

Cheap CATs, with and without o2 bungs: http://performance-curve.com/410225-225catalyticconverter.aspx

The rest of the system you could grab at a salvage yard off a late model, or don't discount local muffler shops as many will bend up custom pipes for a very reasonable cost, often less than what a pre-bent system with shipping will run you.

Thanks, Joe! I might have just piped it up without one. I'll probably just patch the one that's on there and reuse it. It doesn't have to actually be verified as functional anymore since it was in 2007 (per Illinois law).

I appreciate also the idea of getting a system off of one from the junkyard.

-Josh

Back