• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 14 bolt full floater

fullwidthcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
hi i am new to naxja but not new to 4 wheeling i have a quick question, i just got done swaping a hp 44 into the front of my xj and now on to the rear axle i have a buddy with a 1997 14 bolt full floater with 4:10's i wa wondering if the newer 14 bolt will use the same parts as older 14 bolts like lockers or carriers any help would be appreciated

What size tires are you going to be running on that 14 bolt? To make it worthwhile you'd almost have to run tires so big as to be stretching the limits of what the 44 can handle.

if he wants to run a 14 bolt then let him, hes probly able to get it cheap anyway

what was trying to be said was that the OP may not realize what they are trying to do.
"not new to 4x4ing" may not mean they understand that a 14b can stand up to pretty much any tire you'd put under an XJ... but that the 44 would not. and unless you put a large tire (37"+) on the 14b it will become an anchor dragging over the trail.

that said, the 14b can be shaved, a lot, and end up with the same (if not better?) clearance then a 44 if done properly, really properly.

anyway, there are differences in the 14b, 9.5" ring gear are semi float, 10.5 should all be full float, so you'll want to find out what you have.

if you want to really get to know the 14b, have a look see here.

i appriciate the help, the reason i am goin for the 14 bolt is i can get it for $100 cantseem to find a dana 60 anywhere for under $350 and i dont have that kind of cash for an axle right now, and i will be running 35's to start but i got thr front 44 for free so thats y thats under there, also got a free dana 70u but it is weldedand it drives shitty in a xj on the street woorks great in the hills, just want a rear end that i can drive on the street with and i still can go and play for now, as for the 14 bolt it is a 10.5 in full floater but from a 1997 chevy truck, so a full floater 14 is a full floater 14 bolt i guess, i read the 14 bolt bible already and it only says up to 92

Back