• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ death wobble suspension video

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1RMVmBn9RY

The link above will take you to a video shot under an XJ showing how the axle and suspension moves during death wobble. Two death wobble scenes, one near the front and one near the end of the video.

Wish I could say I took this, it was a guy in my local club, NOVA (Northern Virginia) Jeepers.

Enjoy.

John

or people who "think" they have death wobble but its just a little shake. DW will make you shit your pants

im so glad i dont have DW. the roadds in town are bad though, if you hit them too fast my jeep will skip over the whoops and be in the other lane

1. The video is upside down... wtf
2. That wobble wasn't that bad. If you don't have to stop to make it stop then it could be worse.
3. He needs new sway bar bushings. lol

I have DW pretty bad when I hit a bump but I never drive it on the road so It's not a big deal. When I swap in my Waggy 44 I'm replacing everything so the DW goes away.

DW will make you shit your pants

Yeah, when the tires are hopping off the ground....thats death wobble! :shiver:

1. The video is upside down... wtf
2. That wobble wasn't that bad. If you don't have to stop to make it stop then it could be worse.
3. He needs new sway bar bushings. lol

I have DW pretty bad when I hit a bump but I never drive it on the road so It's not a big deal. When I swap in my Waggy 44 I'm replacing everything so the DW goes away.

Just replaced my swaybar bushings too. It no longer dances around like a drunk white chick! :D

Yeah, when the tires are hopping off the ground....thats death wobble! :shiver:

Just replaced my swaybar bushings too. It no longer dances around like a drunk white chick! :D

i didnt know xj's could flail their arms and bump&grind?

a friend test drove a cherokee that had dw so badly, it shot sparks.... i could never wrap my mind around where it would spark from.... anyone got any info?

Seein those DW videos makes me so glad I replaced every bushing in the front end. It's the worst when you have a passenger that doesn't even know what's going on. LoL.

The fix to DW (yes it is mild case) in the first post video was to replace the control arm bushings. Thats a new one on me since the control arms dont restain the front axle laterally to any great extent, but that is what fixed it. No arguing with success.

John

Not sure if anyone watched this related video but WOW this is some pretty epic death wobble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kysbQ9SEkfU&NR=1

lol

1. That's more like the DW I get when my dumbass decides to take it down the highway
2. I'm impressed that he had the balls to hold the camera out the door with one hand and only have one hand on the steering wheel. When mine does it I have BOTH hands on the wheel in a death grip!
3. I bet the doors have a bit "01" on the side. :)

Not sure if anyone watched this related video but WOW this is some pretty epic death wobble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kysbQ9SEkfU&NR=1

Damn, that is pretty bad...

I saw a brand new lookin mostly stock JK goin down a residential street and got DW similar to that and maybe even worse.

I was right behind him, and it looked like that old "trick" of walked a skateboard sideways, where you would lift one side then the other in a walking motion. This is what his front end looked like...the tires were jumping off the ground.

The fix to DW (yes it is mild case) in the first post video was to replace the control arm bushings. Thats a new one on me since the control arms dont restain the front axle laterally to any great extent, but that is what fixed it. No arguing with success.

John

If they are bad enough, they will let the axle go back and forth along with side to side. Death wobble would probably help destroy CA bushings too. Along with any other bushing or just about anything tied into the front axle. If it happens too many times, I wouldn't go without replacing just about everything that holds it together.

Back