• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rust along gutter

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I am going to be taking care of a developing rust spot before it takes hold - paint is starting to bubble in a 2 small patches of about 2"-3" in diameter just above the rain gutter over the passenger door.

I am expecting that when I sand it down I will find that I may need to cut away some of the lip that the plastic trim is glued to.

I am not exactly an expert in body work, although I have done plenty by necessity (88 MJ, 92 XJ, and worst of all a 93 Aerostar - plus living in the Great White North) Just wondering how aggressive I should be - isn't this a welded seam attaching the roof? Is there anything special I should be prepared for? Or just grind, sand, fill, sand, prime and paint as best I can.

What if I end up needing to replace some of the lip - am I into welding or just re-forming a look-alike edge with some fiberglass or metal2metal or allmetal?

Back