• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning rear suspension in stages, same OME springs?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just spent 14 hours on the road picking up my new xj and I have already started planning the build. I will be building this one in 2 stages (most likely) and I want to see what you think of my rear susp. plans.

For stage one Im thinking OME 3.5" medium duty springs (cs033ra) with stock shackles while I build up the rest of the rig with skids, bumpers, and all the other extras. This will be run on 31s and stock drivetrain until the rest of the rig is finished. The shocks for this stage will be OME.

My main question is this, in stage 2 I plan on going to 33x10.5's or the metric equivalent on around 5-5.5" of lift so I dont have to cut apart my fenders (dont tell me to cut and trim, this is first and foremost my dd). I want to reuse the same rear springs (cs033ra) with a combination of HDOR shackle brackets and a 1" shackle which should net me around 5.25" with an optimal shackle angle. The shocks in this setup will be some form of Biltstein.

Does this sound like a solid setup with a good on road ride? Would you suggest anything different? This is about what I have on my other rig right now, HDOR brackets, RE 3.5" leafs and 1" RE shackle. It works pretty well for me but some other opinions would be nice to hear.

I never really thought about those adjustable shackles they sell. They might just find a home on my jeep.

These are what you're talking about correct?
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Jeep_XJ_Shackles/XJ_RLS.html
Except that they're longer than you might think. Mine was cut down for me and it still gives 2" lift before any type of adjustment. It's longer than my old JKS 1" lift shackles. So bear that in mind.

BTW, I'm selling my OME kit I just took off the XJ - not sagged, along with a pair of stock replacement shackles w/ like new bushings & new leaf bushings for the small eyes. The large bushings are still perfect. The rear springs do have the OME long add-a-leaf in the pack. Got pics, hit me up if interested.

Does anyone know who sells or where to find a dealer for the cs033ra's? From what I understand, they arent typically stocked/carried by distributors.

Give Dirk at DPG Offroad a call; he's the go-to guy for all things OME in my book. ARB USA could probably help as well, since they're the US importer for OME.

One thing I'll add: if you're going to be installing bumpers, I would strongly recommend going with the HD springs rather than the medium-duty ones - they'll hold up to the extra weight better when the time comes. FWIW, I've been DD'ing the HD springs (with an AAL in them) for almost five years now and have no complaints, though the rear is a little stiff on-road (most noticeable on speed bumps) if I'm not loaded down with cargo or towing.

Take a look at my sig for the spec that I'm running, because it sounds like you're going to end up close to it when all is said and done. With some fender trimming, that combination should give you enough space for 33s while maintaining good articulation. I did my build in stages as well, and am happy with the end result.

Casm, I have seen your jeep before and I love it. I will check out what DPG has to offer. Looks as if my drivetrain will almost be identical as well, thanks.

Do you happen to have a build thread or anything on yours?

Edit: I found your supermotors page in your sig

Another option would be a 1" ube from TnT + 2.5" leaves + 1" shackle and HDOR shackle boxes. Would there be any negative to gaining half the lift I want from parts other than the springs?

Casm, I have seen your jeep before and I love it. I will check out what DPG has to offer. Looks as if my drivetrain will almost be identical as well, thanks.

Cool, glad that works for you, and thanks :)

Do you happen to have a build thread or anything on yours?

Edit: I found your supermotors page in your sig

No build thread - there was an 'it's done' thread in (IIRC) the photos section years ago from when it was finished, but I didn't really chronicle it as such. Given how stuff rolls out of the photo forum, the thread's probably long-gone.

The stuff on supermotors.net hasn't been updated in a while, but 90% of what I've done since the ACOS and shackles went in back in 2008 has just been straight-up maintenance. The Jeep's hit the point where I'm happy with it from a mechanical standpoint, so the only real remaining modification items are bumpers and maybe a belly skid. Suspension- and driveline-wise, I really don't expect it to change much if any from this point on.

X2 about contacting Dirk at DPG. I have the 4 inch OME/DPG hybrid kit which uses the OME rear spring with the OME add a leaf. I have the stock shackles and still have four inches of lift.

Another possibility, might be to build with the leafs and add the add-a-leaf when wanted/necessary. Dirk would know.

Back