• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to upgrade my power steering pump on my 99 xj

The question was for a pump, not for the steering gear. The Dakota steering gear will give you a bit more steering force and quicker response. If you need more force than a standard vehicle provides, you need to think of plating the frame rail because more force tends to cause frame cracking.

You can modify the insert in the existing pump to have it make more pressure. A search should yield info.

If you can afford about $65 you can get a smaller pulley from PSC that will increase the volume of fluid flow dramatically. Also you can drill out the orifice in the pressure hose adapter in the pump. I also opened up the orifice in the bypass plunger in the pump. I don't recommend modding your pump for increased pressure because that will make the seals leak. The mods I suggested will increase the flow. Don't be surprised when your pump whines loudly after doing these mods, it will be louder but it will work very well.

Back