• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leak on the tstat housing...

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I put in new hoses in june and all was good.... till today I noticed plenty of green... first I thought it was water pump as that's where I saw green, but when I traced it up, it came out of the area of the tstat housing.... now it's either a hose that went bad, or it cracked (do they crack?) where the upper hose (the one that ends up pointing to the battery direction) connects... in any case, the hose was on pretty tight, but I tightened it even more and I think that the leak is no more..... now what can it be?? how do I test it??? If I make it home from work (60+miles in bumper to bumper traffic) and I don't see any more leakage, do I want to test it??? or just leave it be?

Thanks
Kejtar

make sure the housing is flat!! yeah...it sucks...but that was my thought...if you've got a new "good" hose on there. if you don't leak at all on the way home though...I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Mine was doing the same thing about a year ago. It turned out the aluminum got pitted somehow, maybe the coolant or something, and it kept leaking. I just went to jeep and got a new housing. It was cheaper at jeep than the auto part stores.

if you could tighten the hose more that could be the problem itself.. the neck could be pitted as well... mine had a crack in the "bowl" area rigth across the middle. loosen the clamp you have and reverse it.. meaning take it off and flip it around so the screw is pointing the other way. sometimes a hose get as small pinch in it under the worm gear itself and it bunches up the compressed hose material.. get another clamp and put it next to the other one but facing the opposite direction..
mike

what I'm thinking off is that the neck might have been pitted as you say... I don't think it's the clamp pinching though cause if it was leaking from where I think it was... it would have been the wrong spot for it...

Kejtar

Back