• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ front and rear drive shafts?

How long does the OE front and rear drive shaft last? I found this tag on my front drive shaft. Is this the OE drive shaft? I have 175,000 miles on the XJ, and I’m wondering if I’m due for new shafts. I recently installed the DPG OME hybrid 4” lift and planning to buy a Tom Woods for the rear. What should I get for the front?

33846874026_large.jpg

You shouldn't really need to completely replace the whole driveshaft. Now the u-joints in the shafts on the other hand do wear out and need replacing. Unless the shaft are bent then they should be fine. I have 194,xxx miles on my 97 with a 3.5" RE lift on it and have had it lifted for 7 years now and I am running stock driveshafts. I have replaced every u-joint in both the front and rear driveshafts as we as the including the two in the double cardan joint along with the ball centering kit. I have had both drveshafts checked for trueness and I have had them both balanced but as far as total replacement its really not necessary unless they are bent or you are doing a slip-yoke-eliminator kit and need to convert to a CV style rear shaft.

Ben824, thanks for the info. Where's the best place to buy u-joints? Is there is a big difference between different u-joint brands?

any auto parts place. You can get them easily from RockAuto.com I would go for the spicer joints.

Ben824, thanks for the info. Where's the best place to buy u-joints? Is there is a big difference between different u-joint brands?

Yes there is a huge difference in that basically anything other than spicer is crap. Other brands may work in other vehicles but in a Jeep only spicer lasts. I am saying this from personal experience. I had a shop put in some off brand Japanese crap and they didn't even last 2 years after the factory Jeep spicer ones lasted 10 years. And I am not even convinced that the originals had even gone bad but that is why I don't really trust many shops anymore and I do my own work most of the time. If your Jeep was stock I would say you might get away with a very comparable off-brand but I wouldn't put anything in a lifted Jeep but spicer or a ultra high quality off-road brand u-joint.

Yes there is a huge difference in that basically anything other than spicer is crap.

That’s the answer I was looking for. Thanks again.

I second that. It is a pain in the ass for me to get Spicer joints but I don't care. There are the only joint worth buying.

I could be putting this too simply but unless you're getting vibes from it, it's fine. Aside from u-joints of course.

Check that the u-joint holes in each of the ears and yokes at each end of the drive shaft are still round. Once you start getting play in the ears, it's time for a new shaft. Other than that, If it's not physically damaged (which would cause vibes) then it's fine.

Back