• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arm adjustment question

Ryan93

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, just put some new adjustable lower control arms on my RE Drop Kit..

my situation is on my driver side my coil sits perfect no binding straight up, bump stop in the middle... on my passenger side the coil is a little bowed and it looks like the axle needs to be pushed out (control arms lengthened). BUT both arms are the exact same length... so my question is how big of a deal is it to have one side longer than the other? This is my DD so I really dont want to deal with uneven tire ware and messed up steering etc... thanks in advance.. Ryan

Have you adjusted your track bar to make sure the axle is centered under the vehicle? I had some similar issues and just discovered that my axle had been shifted about 3/4" too far to the driver's side for about 9 years now. Guess I didn't know any better back when my buddy helped me install the lift...

Thats a common concern,but the XJ isn't symetrical from side to side.You can check the wheelbase just to be sure.

hmm well is there a good way to know for sure if your axle is centered side to side other than eyeballing it? because it looks ok... as for wheelbase i measured from axle tube to axle tube for each side and they are both the same give or take 1/4 an inch

a very common occurance on the XJ is for a spring bucket on the unibody to distort and angle back. Could that be your issue? If so a Winch works wonders to fix it...

Passenger:
Coil001.jpg

Driver:
Coil003.jpg

Its almost like the axle is far enough out but possibly i need to adjust my upper like the coil seat is angled too far forward causing it to arch.. if that makes any sense

Passenger:
Coil001.jpg

Driver:
Coil003.jpg

Its almost like the axle is far enough out but possibly i need to adjust my upper like the coil seat is angled too far forward causing it to arch.. if that makes any sense

Can you take a picture like the lower one, but of the upper side, to see where the spring seats on the bucket?

Passenger:
Coil001.jpg

Driver:

I was asking for basically this picture but angle the camera so that we can see up about 5 more inches where the spring is in the seat and the seat...

it looks like it could be the spring? Try rotating the spring 180deg? and then lower and see maybe if it helps?

Back