• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going up hills?

mizzutgr

NAXJA Forum User
When I am driving up long hill on the highway in cruise or not me engine will cut out for just a second- it sounds like a automatic starting to down shift. plugs/wires/cap/rotor/coil all new within the last 3 years. Everything is clean and good running order and this only happens on long -kind of steep hill - ozark mountain-ish kind of hills. Any thoughts? I do have a slight crack in a weld on my exhaust manifold but after that its all new.

Could be a number of things.

Lets start with the BASICS--year/engine/trans/etc.

'99 sport, 5 speed, I-6 i have a k&n cold air intake and just recently installed a new exhaust- took the factory crush out better breathing cat and a magnaflow on it - but it has been doing before any of that was put on. Other than that its factory. No major change in gas milage. Throttle body is clean and in good order along with everything else. Like I said - it only does it on long, steep hills. Not sure what else you might need to know. Thanks-

Ok, loss of power under a load can be a lot of things, but as its just for a second as you are adding throttle I would throw an analog meter on the TPS and test it through the complete throttle range watching for any jerks/blips in needle movement--i.e., checking for a bad spot.

Things like a weak coil, weak plug/cap/rotor, those all would get worse as the load increased, so likely not them.

All that said, the exhaust leak upstream of the o2 sensor can't be helping things and you need to address it pretty quick.

Back