• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Main cap bolts

If you always start with the BASICS--year/engine/trans/etc., you will get better responses.

Ok, the HEADBOLTS on the 4.0 should only be used twice--original build and once after that, then replaced. If done by a professional, if the headbolts have been re-used once before they should be painted on top.

I know of no such limit on the main/rod cap bolts/studs on the 4.0 engine.

How many times has your engine been rebuilt? Building a stroker?

It had 220K and this is my first rebuild and I doubt the other owners did anything like this, MAYBE a new piston or two (3 of them looked almost new) I wish I could build a stroker, but thats for another day haha I re-used the head bolts already, so I ordered another set. I've never touched the main bolts. Posa88XJ said he trusts your advice and I'm sure you know what your talking about. If you haven't heard of a rule/limit with them, I'm sure they'll be fine. I can't find a set anywhere anyway, so I'm gonna get back to building :) Thank you for the help!

You can reuse the main cap bolts with out a problem. IIRC its a dealer only item.

With that mileage if you are doing a through rebuild you probably have to bore the cylinders and new pistons.

Yeah I got the block done, head rebuilt, pistons, rings...pretty much the works. Then some acc. items like oil and water pump. Should be fun, this is my first build :D

Back