• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower switch only works on high....

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a dirt cheap 95 XJ.

The blower switch only works when set to high. I've done some searching here and it looks like it could be a number of things. Should I check the resistor first or try replacing the switch?

Any advice?

Also it doesn't have a radio installed if that makes a difference...

Typically the thermal fuse in the resistor pack has blown. Usually there will be no visual indication so you will need a meter to confirm. If it is the fuse, you can replace it with one from an electronics supply source (Radio Shack) for a couple of bucks.

It is built into the front of the air plenum under the dash on the passenger side. It has a flat plate with a connector on it. The actual resistor is a coil of nichrome wire that extends into the airflow to keep it cool. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think you have to pull the facia to get at it. IIRC it is held in place with a couple of hex head screws.

It is built into the front of the air plenum under the dash on the passenger side. It has a flat plate with a connector on it. The actual resistor is a coil of nichrome wire that extends into the airflow to keep it cool. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think you have to pull the facia to get at it. IIRC it is held in place with a couple of hex head screws.
What he said and You can use this link to do the fix.
This link is for a TJ but the fix is the same once you have it out of your jeep.
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/technical/listing.cfm?articleID=515

If it is still in place on your Jeep, you will have to remove the black curved plastic piece that covers some wiring and and vacuum components. This held by two screws but the front hole is slotted so the piece should slip off after removing the rear screw (the one nearest you IIRC). You may have to loosen the front screw but do not need to remove completely. After removing the curved piece, you may have to remove a vacuum motor to easily get at the resistor pack. This is all quick and simple. The resistor block itself is diamond shaped and will have a multi-wire connector plugged into it as shown in the write-up.

If it is the fuse and it blows again, you will probably need to replace the blower motor which is likely drawing too much current... but one thing at a time.

Back