• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross swapping of 8.25 differentials?

noChrome71

NAXJA Forum User
So question for yall,

Anyone know the ability to put a differential from a 8.25, from say a Liberty or Dakota 8.25, into a 97+ xj?

I know it needs to be a 29 spline, but i'm not even sure what all came with a 29 spline 8.25. WJ's? Durangos?

A buddy of mine has a 2000' 3.9 5-speed Dakota and it looks exactly like my rear 8.25, just a little wider...

Thanks!

The dif and gears will trade across. As you noticed the housing is wider, so the axle housing won't fit, and the axles won't trade between different width housings.(the Lib. Dak. and Commander housings are all wider then the Cherokee housing)

Why do you want to trade? 'His truck have lower gears? The 8.25 doesn't have a carrier break in the "Jeep" usage range, so you can put any gears you like on the one in your Cherokee. Does the Dak have a limited slip? That would be a worthwhile upgrade if it was cheap/free.

Yes, that's the main reason: limited slip. I know everyone hates on them, but for my snowy weather driving they work just fine. No rock crawling in Michigan! That was also great to see that there was no break in the gear size, I've honestly never seen that with any other diff...

I've seen limited slips for the newer Commander stuff (06, etc) but it looks vastly different.

the 8.25 does have a carrier break, but it's around 2.50 or so(really,... I know,... Why bother?)

Nothing wrong with a LS. I have 2 of them and love them. For a trail rig, I don't mind(actually like a lot) a locker, but they're a little harsh for a DD. And snow? LS hands down. I have an Auburn LS in back(8.25) and a Detroit Truetrac in front(LP-30) 'Highly recomend both, but like the TT better(they didn't make the TT for the 8.25 back then, they do now)

'Not up on the commander stuff, but it uses the 8.25, so the interior architecture should be the same.

Thanks for the info,

I actually have a trutrac for the front that I have yet to install. I don't like the idea of a locker in the front in the snow. I've driven several FWD cars with limited slips and they are all great int he snow because they were the torque biasing type like the trutrac... How do you like yours? Good in snow?

It's difficult to find a limited slip for the rear, even used, for under 200 dollars. I don't even care if it has really high miles! Still searching junkards and craigslist to no evail. I'm too cheap and poor to pay full price for the rear after buying the front!

Haven't had much snow around to drive in, true enough. I really like the TT though.

One tip if you're installing a used D-30 TT. Apparently, there are 2 different ring gear bolt sizes available for the D-30. (The Yukon gears I got had a dual bolt pattern drilled on the gear)
The factory(Jeep) ring gear bolts are the smaller size. The TT bolt holes(in mine at least) were larger, but not large enough to put the larger size bolts through. They make a spacer sleeve to use that takes up the slack. Order those before you start your install. Either that, or if your gears have the dual bolt pattern, ream the holes for the larger size bolts.

I'm guessing that the D-30 Truetrac comes with a set of shouldered ring gear bolts new, but it may not have them if you bought it used.

Back