• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found out why my manifold was cracked

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
I finally decided to tackle my exhaust leak. I ordered the APN manifold and tore everything down. When I got the old manifold out I noticed that it was not only cracked at the collector but every single down pipe. I took a look at the motor mount and found this

026.jpg

What would cause that kind of damage to a motor mount?

A 4 liter.

The torque of the 4.0L tends to kill motor mounts. That is why Moore and Brown Dog sell so many mounts.

i had the same problem except only my last two downpipes were cracked all the way around :) and turns out i had a custom two piece motor mount lol
IMG00001-20101106-1509.jpg

yup, that's the classic '2-peice' style motor mount, it should be good for another 2-3 months!

but seriously, every single xj ive ever worked on had those when when acquired. DO NOT replace them with an oem design replacement, it'll happen again. im going on 4 years on my M.O.R.E mounts, LOVE EM. i would also consider brown dog and ironman4x4, both have good designs. jeeperjohn in socal also makes them for cheap.

I'm definitely picking up some M.O.R.E. mounts but should I get Poly or rubber? Are the rubber mounts worth the extra money?

If you don't like vibration, for sure get the rubber.

I've had the M.O.R.E. bombproof rubber mounts for several years, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I wouldn't go poly on the motor mounts, these are a little buzzy at idle but settle out at speed. I'd expect poly to buzz, period.

Back