• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help-Blue and Red vacuum line

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having issues with my 1987 2.5 L D30's vacuum disconnect. I have decide to replace with a Posi Lok but...

I was just under the hood and discovered two (appear to be) vacuum lines that are connected to nothing in the bay. I can not see anywhere they connect and have obvious connector type ends. They may be for the disconnect or even the vents... I need to trace to the other end.

Anybody have any ideas where they should connect in the bay??? Can or should I just plug them? I appolgize for the large pic but wanted you to see them.

Thanks in advance...
vacuum2.jpg

I think the EGR solenoid is on that side on a 2.5. One might be a vent line that's missing the check-valve, which might also explain why the vac disco isn't working?

Yea, I'm a dummy when it comes to this vacuum system. I see no solinoid and how would I know for sure if there is supposed to be check valve on either? I wonder what I could mees up if I plug them?

If you track back to where they came from, I can tell you where the go. The 2.5L in that year had a vacuum reservoir mounted on the fender liner IIRC. Most likely they go to the two sides of the reservoir.

Thanks... I will look this morning to see where they go. Quick glance and it's either into firewall and to the vents or down to the disconnect. No way they would reach the vacuum reservoir.

OK without getting up on lift I can't see where they go past theses two connections. In the pic you can see they each go to a different connection and the down to / by the transmission it looks like. However, when under there I do not see a red or blue line???
Once more sorry for large pic but wanted you to see them.

I guess I may need to find a shop :( no other XJ guys close to me.

connect2.jpg

Try taking a pix that shows more of the engine bay so we can see better.

Actually that makes sense. If one of the lines runs down for the front axle, it might belong connected to the pressure switch for the 4wd light.

I've removed a few of them when I did the CAD elimination. You lose your 4WD light but if you can't tell you're in 4WD with a NP231, you've got more problems than not being able to read a light......

Back