• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump replacement?

yetimotronic

NAXJA Forum User
98 4.0 167xxx auto. my rear main is def in need of replacement. my oil pressure is good, nothing odd going on at all. 40 psi at speed and around 18-22 psi at idle. this was verified with a gauge with the car at operating temp.

i dont have oil pressure issues, but ive read a ton of threads about replacing the oil pump while doing the rear main. i wasnt planning on replacing the oil pump. there is a pump rebuild kit i would consider.

so is it worth it to replace an oil pump despite good readings or maybe freshen it up with the rebuild kit or leave it alone and not disturb things?

You actually have a leaky main on a 98' ?

Anyway... I wouldn't bother replacing the oil pump, not with good readings. @167K there are so many other things to "Freshen up" to make it new ;)

Oil pressure readings reflect more on the condition of the bearings than the state of the oil pump, unless it has taken a serious dump ;)

There is no reason a reasonably well cared for 4.0 can't go 300k + miles.

That said, tossing in a new oil pump at 167k miles while you have the oil pan off anyway isn't a bad idea--I recommend the high-volume oil pumps and at NAPA the high-volume pump is only $1 more than the standard pump.

Whether you replace the pump or not, don't forget to torque all of the rod and main cap bolts while you are in there.

Back