• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ brake booster question

Renegade XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I rencently bought an XJ that has a WJ brake booster swap already done. It stops GREAT....but, the brake pedal is way too high off the floor. Now I did a bit of searching and found that there are some spacers needed to be used during this swap in order to put the pedal in the right spot...? My confusion is that, (from what I have read) that the spacers are only 1/4" thick....I would have to say that my pedal is about 2-3" too high compared to my last XJ, so I dont think a 1/4" spacer is going to fix anything for me. Any ideas?

1/4" at the spacer will make a big difference at the pedal. you have to take into consideration the leverage geometry. when you push your pedal down lets say 3 inches, you only pushing the booster rod a fraction of an inch. so pulling back the booster 1/4" will drop the pedal pad a couple inches.

I swapped a WJ booster and master in my 2000, and I did not like the height. The pedal arm still needed to contact the brake switch which meant it still needed to be all the way forward at the top so I took out the pedal, put it in a vise, heated it up and bent it down about a inch, has worked perfect for years and gave me the position I was comfortable with.

I put about 4 "average" sized washers (per bolt, maybe a half inch thick in all) between my WJ booster and the firewall, the pedal is a little higher than stock but after using it for over a year I don't even notice the difference anymore.

I didn't put a spacer in mine and I didn't notice a difference in height... I used the backing plate that came with the WJ though. Maybe that made the difference.

ok, Im going to try the putting some washers in there, if that dosent do the truck then I may just heat it up and bend it! Mine is way off the floor, at idle, if my foot is resting on the gas pedal, I can easily just slide it right UNDER the brake pedal....and that with big steel toe boots on!

Back