• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter problems

hudson12787

NAXJA Forum User
alright guy heres the deal i turn the key the starter does nothing but if i leave the switch on i can jump the solinoid with a screw and it work and i had the starter tested its good. ok a back story i bought the jeep a few weeks ago with problem but it started the motor was very muddy so i pressure washed it and now this starter problem presents itself so i cant work on the original problems any suggestions

starting problem

i guess the best way to put this is my 94 xj is a hard starter. when i try to start it it just spins over i have to pump the gas for it to start. i know carb vehicles its semi normal to have to pump the gas for it to start but not a fuel injected vehicles ive been told tps but i wanna see what yall thnk before i throw parts at it for no reason so whats your suggestion thanks in advance

Re: starting problem

Hi. You don't need to start a new thread every time, just reply to your original post. Also, not everybody is online within the first hour or 2 of you posting. Friday night and I'm stuck at home - HA!

There is a search engine - see that button that says "search this forum?" You could even Google it now - 94 xj won't start = tons of info to start looking for things to eliminate until you fix your problem.

TPS - might need adjustment. Get a good multimeter and check the voltage. Don't know how? SEARCH. Research. I've posted my data on a couple of forums.

CPS - see above.

Post back in this thread with your findings. You bought this XJ with this problem. By the sound of it, you may need a new fuel filter, and possibly a pump. Does it stay running after you pump the gas? How many miles are on the ticker? Does this thing look well-maintained?

If you can jump the solenoid and make it start there is your clue. Have you tried to replace the solenoid? Or make sure the ground is good on it?
It helps to know a little about your rig tho. If it a manual transmission it will ground with the bolts holding it in place.

Also pre 86 had just a solenoid after there is a relay. I might be wrong with the year they switched. But your basic info will help

I'm not sure WHAT is going on here.

I see a moderator merged your two threads.

One XJ? It won't crank, but it cranks and you have to pump the accelerator?

Take a breath, and start over from scratch.

Give your BASICS first, always: year/engine/transmission/etc.

Give the symptoms as clearly as you can. If the symptoms are intermittent, state it that way.

Don't A**UME that we already know something about your situation--we don't.

yea i guess i coulda gave some model info so if u wanna help its a 94 xj 4.0 auotmatic but white knuckle i started 2 threads because they are to different questions 2 different problems if you read em one was a starter question one was a starting problem but if related so be it if yall think they belong together thanks for fixing the mistake

it has 161000 on it it was a bush better but no leaks but i figureits unrelated problems cuz i have had to pump accelerater since i bought it unlike the starter not working since i pressure washed the engine

Test your TPS--they are like hydrophobic worse than cats, you probably toasted it with the pressure wash.

When it won't even crank with the key that can be the following: key, key cylinder, remote rod, ignition switch, starter relay, NSS, and all the wiring in between. The NSS interrupts cranking by creating an open in the starter relay ground circuit unless the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL. The fact that you can crank the engine by jumping 12 volts to the starter solenoid tells us that the battery and main cables, as well as the starter-solenoid are all in good working order.

Back