• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems starting.....help please?!

ATLSRT8

NAXJA Forum User
I am having problems starting my 2000 Cherokee 4.0. I know it's not a neutral safety bc it won't start in neutral and the battery and alternator are new. It started right up this morning when I got in it, I drove maybe 200 yards to take my trash out, got back in the car and it wouldn't start back up. It hesitated like it wanted to, but wouldn't turn over. Someone said it sounded like the starter was slipping. So I parked it and came back 5 hours later and it started right up! I turned it off to throw some more trash out because I have been moving the past 3 days, I get back in and then nothing. It hesistated a few times and now it does absolutely nothing; it doesn't even hesitate like it wants to start like it did before....it's making no noises. I want to say the last time I tried to start it and it was hesitating, there was a little pop then that's when it started making no noises. I don't know if that is relevant to the problem in any way, or I could just be adding stuff because I was frustrated when all this was going on haha. Anyways does it sound like it needs a new starter or could it be something else? Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!! :thumbup:

1. For an engine that isn't turning over, always start by removing the battery terminals, and cleaning them and also the battery posts until they are SHINY. Reattach.

2. Freshening engine grounds is never a bad idea

3. With fresh connections and if it is still symptomatic, it is time to start TESTING your way to a solution. Don't throw parts at this on a hunch!

Get a multi-meter. (everyone that works on their XJ should have one and at least a basic idea how to use it). With the ignition key in the ON position, put that voltmeter directly on the starter. You should have approx. the same voltage reading at the starter that you do at the battery. If you do have 12V at the starter, your problem is most likely the starter. If you do NOT have 12V at the starter, you need to start working your way back to find out why. Possibilities are a bad cable, neutral safety switch, relay, etc.

Just because it won't start in neutral doesn't completely exclude the neutral safety switch from the suspect list.

With troubleshooting, rule 1 is don't ASS U ME anything. New battery and alternator does not mean that you have a good charge.

X2 on the voltmeter. I picked up 4 of them at Harbor Freight for 3 or 4 $ each and leave one in every car.

Check for 12V at the battery first. If it is good there, try jumping across the starter terminals between the big heavy wire which should ALWAYS show battery voltage to the small starter terminal which activates the starter. MAKE SURE that you are in park when you do this because you are bypassing the safety features and could run yourself over.

I just got it started in neutral (after sitting for a day) and moved to my apartment, but as soon as I shut it off; it refuses to turn on again (in P or in neutral)

I just got it started in neutral (after sitting for a day) and moved to my apartment, but as soon as I shut it off; it refuses to turn on again (in P or in neutral)

The problem is almost assuredly your neutral safety switch. You can try disassembling/cleaning/greasing/adjusting as that may restore function. Worth a try.

Here is a link to one of many articles that explains how to do this.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

I know this technique is a little risky but try this: SO USE CAUTION WHEN ATTEMPTING

With your foot on the brake....turn the key with your left hand and hold in the start position, with your right hand move the shifter from park to the other gears slowly.
You might notice it will try to start somewheres in the travel of the shifter.

When my NSS was bad...it had a sweet spot where it would start.

This would confirm your problem is your NSS.

Last edited:
Back