• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need New Shock ideas for 2" Lift. Monroe sensatracs Discontinued for ZJ and MJ

noChrome71

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

So before I get alot of hate, I DID search for this in the forum. The old idea of using Monroe Sensatrac: ZJ Up-Country front shocks and MJ rears will no longer work because they have been discontinued.

Anyone have any idea of good shocks that are from some other car that will work with a 2" lift? The problem is I NEED to stay under 150 dollars max, max, max. (I'm dead poor haha) I want to avoid the cheap hydro shocks...

Thanks in advance! I have all the lift stuff waiting, just no shocks....

Re: Need New Shock ideas for 2" Lift. Monroe sensatracs Discontinued for ZJ and MJ

For a two inch lift, some stock length shocks with BPE's will probably work for you. Or just skip the BPE's and run stockers as many others do at that height.

Re: Need New Shock ideas for 2" Lift. Monroe sensatracs Discontinued for ZJ and MJ

The Monroe Sensa-tracs for the Upcountry ZJ were of no functional value for quite a while before they were discontinued. I ordered a set on line when they could still be found, and when I laid them down next to the normal XJ Sensa-tracs, they were the exact same length, both compressed and extended. At some point, Monroe changed the supplier on the shocks, there were obvious differences between the older ones and the newer ones.

I ended up using 1" spacers and longer bolts on the lower mounts to get me by until I could get some shocks that were truly longer. The also make extenders for the top end of the shock, but these have always looked like a failure waiting to happen to me.

how about any shocks for a ZJ or MJ? monroe sensatracs are just one of the many shocks you can get at a parts store.

KYB gas shocks, OEM bilstein, monroe gas magnum....

JK Takeoffs?

Print this out and read it, find shocks that will work. If you can't find them in stock, take it to different auto parts stores and cross reference the part number till you find something in stock. Sensatracs are black the monroe matic are blue I believe.
http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

Thanks for the info guys. I found a set on the bay for 80 bucks shipped, and thats cheaper than the 150 I was planning on spending and I need them now!!!

This is what I love about this forum, still members around that are also not huge spenders!

JK shocks will work for a 2" lift.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=50

That's some good write-up & information... thanks!

I was mostly concerned about the rears when I was checking into them in the past.
I think I'd upgrade the rear bump-stops if I was gonna 'wheel much with these on 2", though... just sayin'... :cheers:

i noticed the REAR shocks are worth it, but the fronts are basically the same as a stock XJ... i'd rather get 3" lift shocks and just bump stop correctly

YJ shocks are also an option:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
Having used YJ front Monroe Sensatracs (#37120, 14.5" C/24.375" E), they have a sleeve in the bottom bushing instead of a barpin, so you have to press the sleeve out and put in a barpin or BPE to get them to work.

i noticed the REAR shocks are worth it, but the fronts are basically the same as a stock XJ... i'd rather get 3" lift shocks and just bump stop correctly

The Rubicon front shocks were actually a tad longer than the Rough Country shocks provided with my 3" lift......Hmmmmmmmmm.

Gabriel Ultras are about 30$ a piece. I got some for a ZJ V8 upcountry and they work great.

Measurements on the Gabriel Ultras???

They are still in my heep. When I remove them (should be in the next week or so), I can measure them.

Have a pair of JK (non-rubi) shocks for cheap, as well ..

I have a pair of JK on rubicons on mine that I've used with around 3" of lift but with BPEs. No length problems and they ride nice. They are too short for my 4+ inches of lift now.

I have a 3" lift and I am running the JK rubicon shocks... they only cost me $30 for the set... and the truck rides awesome :thumbup:

Back